Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Two piece Gladiator helmet

Article about: Hello everyone, I would really like your help on this one. I have bought this one, it looked okay to me, just stored in quite a dry place by the looks of it. But then I started comparing it

Default Two piece Gladiator helmet

Hello everyone,

I would really like your help on this one.
    I bought this one today for € 130,- and it looked okay to me, just stored in quite a dry place by the looks of it.
    But then I started comparing it to other Luftschutz helmets and I noticed that the decal is different compared to those!
    I really hope that I have not been duped.

Thanks in advance for any help!

(Btw, to those still wanting to see better pictures of my M16 camo Stahlhelm, I will still be making those! Pls don't forget about it, haha.)

Two piece Gladiator helmetTwo piece Gladiator helmetTwo piece Gladiator helmetTwo piece Gladiator helmetTwo piece Gladiator helmetTwo piece Gladiator helmetTwo piece Gladiator helmetTwo piece Gladiator helmetTwo piece Gladiator helmetTwo piece Gladiator helmet

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Two piece Gladiator helmet
    P
    Many

More pictures. While I was there I also bought this leather grease to smear on the helmets of mine with a dry liner. Is this a recommended practice?
    Thanks in advance.

Two piece Gladiator helmetTwo piece Gladiator helmetTwo piece Gladiator helmet

Unfortunately the decal is a fake one.
    Big difference with an Original one.

A "one second" look fake decal. Don't apply anything on 80 year old leather.
    D.

Quote by real steel View Post
    D.
    Agree liner treatment is a big no no.

Quote by real steel View Post
    D.
    Quote by Schwerpunkt View Post
    Unfortunately the decal is a fake one.
    Big difference with an Original one.
    A huge disappointment ... I should've looked up more about these before I bought it (I was at a fair so I couldn't post it here).
    Thank you two for your help.

Btw, what kind of damage could applying something to old leather do? The previous owner of my M16 Camo Stahlhelm applied leather oil to the liner.

Quote by ShapedSteel View Post
    A huge disappointment ... I should've looked up more about these before I bought it (I was at a fair so I couldn't post it here).
    Thank you two for your help.

Btw, what kind of damage could applying something to old leather do? The previous owner of my M16 Camo Stahlhelm applied leather oil to the liner.
    It does not help the leather at all. Check out the link.
    Preserve and destroy ? – German Helmet Vault

Also if you are talking about the leather of the gladiator it looks supple and outstanding to me.

MAP
    ?

To add....some leather treatments actually damage the old leather. I have an old baseball hat from a "hall of famer". the leather sweatband was dry and stiff. Added a "trusted" brand of leather conditioner to it and the leather literally fell apart a few weeks later. That was 20 years ago and learned my lesson. Don't touch the leather!!!!

Also...unless you are a pro, never buy a helmet before you get it vetted. No item is so rare that you need to fear that you will miss out while getting it check out. There are plenty others out there.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

An original helm made by Gebrüder Gräbner of Crottendorf/Erzgebirge, sadly slightly sullied by a bad decal.
    Last edited by BlackCat1982; 07-27-2019 at 08:00 PM. Reason: Typo

Quote by Schwerpunkt View Post
    It does not help the leather at all. Check out the link.
    Preserve and destroy ? – German Helmet Vault

Also if you are talking about the leather of the gladiator it looks supple and outstanding to me.
    Hello,
    Yes I've actually read your article a few years ago. I know that greasing and oiling and stuff alike liners that aren't rotting away is a big NO NO, don't worry!
    I just wanted to apply it to deteriorating liners, that I fear might not survive even in a air tight glass box.
    And yes, the liner is very supple, the band Is warped though, as can be seen in the pictures. The chinstrap, on the other hand, is as hard as a rock! But can still be moved around, it's not brittle.

Btw, what kind of dangers is my M16 Stalhelm facing? Since it's liner was oiled with furniture leather oil by the seller. How many years os oiling is needed before the effects such as the darkening of the leather become visible?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast