Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Unknown m40 helmet

Article about: I recently bought this helmet, and cannot seem to find any information about it. The helmet came with a aluminium comb, a leather neck pad, and a liner as can be seen in the pictures. The ea

Default Unknown m40 helmet

I recently bought this helmet, and cannot seem to find any information about it. The helmet came with a aluminium comb, a leather neck pad, and a liner as can be seen in the pictures ( I dissembled it). The easiest conclusion is that it could be a postwar firefighter helmet, however those are typically made of aluminium, don't have air vents and are m34 rather than m40.

So it could be a original helmet modified after the war to serve as a firefighter helmet, but is doesn't have a batch number in it, only the letter 'E'.
    The helmet is painted red under the black paint, as can be seen in the pictures. Also, the holes for the comb have a burr on the inside and are not nicely drilled.

So can anyone help me on this one? Is it ww2, and if not, what was it used for?
    Higher quality pictures: Imgur: The magic of the Internet

Unknown m40 helmet
    Unknown m40 helmet
    Unknown m40 helmet
    Unknown m40 helmet
    Unknown m40 helmet
    Unknown m40 helmet

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Unknown m40 helmet
    P
    Many

The red paint looks like a primer to me.

I believe the shell is a post war repro

MAP
    ?

Quote by real steel View Post
    I believe the shell is a post war repro
    Agree. NS font is all wrong IMHO.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

Not original WW2.

Thanks guys, I also measured the thickness of the metal, and it is about 2/3 of a normal helmet. So it is indeed not original. However it could post war production from NS for firefighters? The shell feels and looks better than most reproductions I've handled.

Hi, it does seem strange that someone would fake these "low end" helmets, but i agree that the font is all wrong so that's the only conclusion i can come up with as well. Leon.

Original shell postwar used as firefighter helmet. Suchrepainted black helmets were used as fighterfighters helmets in many countries in postwar years ( in West Germany, in DDR, in Poland, in Czechoslovakia ).

This is NOT a WW2 made shell. There is no known "E" code for an M40. Any E coded NS made helmet was an M35 with a number following. The inner rolled rim is not correct for a wartime produced shell either.

So as far as being "Original shell postwar used"...maybe there is a language issue I am not reading correctly.
    D.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast