Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Vet bring back M35 possible Kriegsmarine

Article about: A good Friend of mine Just scooped up this beautiful M35 vet bring back helmet. Its liner pins are not loose what so ever, overall the paint looks great, and it exhibits that nice honest age

Default Vet bring back M35 possible Kriegsmarine

A good Friend of mine Just scooped up this beautiful M35 vet bring back helmet. Its liner pins are not loose what so ever, overall the paint looks great, and it exhibits that nice honest aged look. The friend of mine who bought this helmet has a few questions though, and he isn't a forum member. So for this post I will tell you guys the questions he asked me, that I couldn't answer. Hopefully some one can shed some light on this. Question#1- Is this partial decal a kriegsmarine, or just an aged Wehrmacht? Question#2- Whats up with the batch number? This helmet is a Q64, but the batch number is odd. This is what I see "DN116" Ive never seen letters in a batch number before, is this common?
    I will try to post better pics of this helmet tomorrow. Please let me know any info you may have on this helmet.

Best regards- Jarret

Vet bring back M35 possible KriegsmarineVet bring back M35 possible KriegsmarineVet bring back M35 possible KriegsmarineVet bring back M35 possible KriegsmarineVet bring back M35 possible KriegsmarineVet bring back M35 possible Kriegsmarine

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Vet bring back M35 possible Kriegsmarine
    P
    Many

I am not able to help with the batch number, but I think from the pictures shown I think the helmet is a Heers and not a Kreigs. You can see on the right wing(left head on view) the silver of a Heers.
    Double check me.
    Marty
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

If it is indeed a QM35....it is NOT a navy helmet. ET was the only manufacturer of M35 Navy helmets besides the 1940 issued SE Navy contract which this is not.

MAP
    ?

Dang David. Finally a helmet question I could answer and you beat me too it.

Jarret: My only contribution now is that letters in a batch number is perfectly fine.

But......are we sure this is an M35?? Lot #DN116 corresponds to an M40 in Franks lot # database.

"Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Quote by MAP View Post
    Dang David. Finally a helmet question I could answer and you beat me too it.

Jarret: My only contribution now is that letters in a batch number is perfectly fine.

But......are we sure this is an M35?? Lot #DN116 corresponds to an M40 in Franks lot # database.

Good eye Michael. it is an M40. ....chance it could be a navy but until we see better pics of decal...can't say. Got the early light green pin heads....could be a real early M40 Q. They did hold a small navy contract displaying the ET navy decal.

MAP
    ?

Quote by real steel View Post
    Good eye Michael. Think it is an M40. If it is....chance it could be a navy but until we see better pics of decal...can't say. Got the early light green pin heads....could be a real early M40 Q. They did hold a small navy contract displaying the ET navy decal.
    It doesn't look like it is too early of a lot #. It's around 1/3 of the way deep into his observed examples. There was a large number (~20% of the total M40 observations) of non-DN codes prior to this and a few of them even had 1941 dated liner systems. Not conclusive by any means but just thought I would mention it.

But that paint sure looks M35ish...maybe it's just the flash

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Quote by MAP View Post
    It doesn't look like it is too early of a lot #. It's around 1/3 of the way deep into his observed examples. There was a large number (~20% of the total M40 observations) of non-DN codes prior to this and a few of them even had 1941 dated liner systems. Not conclusive by any means but just thought I would mention it.

But that paint sure looks M35ish...maybe it's just the flash
    Think it is just the lighting. If you look at the second pics down on the right....can see the texture of M40 style paint.

MAP
    ?

Agree David. And the skirts as well. Just the blow up of the paint around the rivets could fool you.

Either way for me it's an M40 for sure.

I pulled out my trusty well worn ( and now out of print copy )of Ken's book and the vent dome shape matches the Q 40 style.

off to bed. Till tomorrow

Hi, all looks good for an un-touched HEER M40 to me, the gold "fleck" to the decal does not look deep enough to me for a KM, but maybe that is just the flash "bleaching it out"? Some good natural light images should clear it up one way or the other though. Leon.

Thank you all for this helpful information! I apologize for miss labeling this helmet as a m35. you are correct, it is a m40. I will ask my friend for some more detailed photos of the decal in the sunlight. Should be able to post them soon. Thanks again for the fast responses to my questions.

Best regards- Jarret

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast