Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Where to get an insert? And should you?

Article about: Hello Everyone, I posted pics of this helmet quite some time ago (maybe 7-10 years ago) and I'd like to set it up more for a display...a couple questions... #1 - Is it a good idea to put an

Default Where to get an insert? And should you?

Hello Everyone,

I posted pics of this helmet quite some time ago (maybe 7-10 years ago) and I'd like to set it up more for a display...a couple questions...

#1 - Is it a good idea to put an insert in the helmet if it doesn't have one now?
    #2 - If so, do you get an "authentic" one or I am assuming there are reproduction ones out there.

Looking for some information to go with this unique helmet. Here are the pics again - just updated now that the camera on my phone is much better than it was back in the day!

Thanks in advance for your help.

Pete Volk
    Charlotte, NC

Where to get an insert? And should you?Where to get an insert? And should you?Where to get an insert? And should you?Where to get an insert? And should you?Where to get an insert? And should you?Where to get an insert? And should you?Where to get an insert? And should you?Where to get an insert? And should you?Where to get an insert? And should you?Where to get an insert? And should you?Where to get an insert? And should you?Where to get an insert? And should you?Where to get an insert? And should you?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Where to get an insert? And should you?
    P
    Many

The worst thing you can do is fiddle with a helmet , you will turn a good honest piece into what is called a Frankenstein.

Pete,

These are just my thoughts,, I would leave it as is.. I assume it didn't come with one (liner) when you came into possession of the helmet and eventually the helmet will no longer be in your possession so the "chain of custody" so to speak will be broken if a liner is added and it will be presumed that the helmet was always intact with a liner after it is no longer in your hands by the next owner and from there the original helmet without a liner is now lost to time.. The risks of putting a reproduction liner in the helmet may also raise suspicions to the authenticity of the entire helmet itself, paint, decals, etc.. (This of course is after you are no longer the owner)..but by then what does it matter

Not trying to sound macabre about your future and I hope you are in possession of this helmet for another century but we all have to face the reality that we are just temporary custodians of said items and after we no longer have the artifacts in their pure untouched state doubts will always be cast on the authenticity and as Schwerpunkt has added,, it will just be another FRANKENHELMET after it is altered...

I'm sure others will add their thoughts...

Best regards, stay safe

Smitty

Thanks guys - I appreciate the input. This is exactly what I was wondering about...I will pass it on to my kids just as it was given to me, but like you said, once you are gone you never know whereat may wind up. I just keep stressing the fact that it is a valuable piece of history and not to sell it at an estate sale or yard sale or something, lol!

@Schwerpunkt - Wow - That is a great website you have there. It is pretty interesting. I'd love your take on my helmet too if you care to share it.