Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

ww2 hemet?

Article about: Hi, I have a helmet that looks to be german, but i have no idea about the model or if its even made or used during the war. Any help would be geratly apriciated. Thanks!

Default ww2 hemet?

Hi, I have a helmet that looks to be german, but i have no idea about the model or if its even made or used during the war. Any help would be geratly apriciated. Thanks!

ww2 hemet?
    ww2 hemet?
    ww2 hemet?
    ww2 hemet?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture ww2 hemet?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement ww2 hemet?
    P
    Many

The photos don’t show the profile very well but appears to be an original M18 German WW1 helmet shell that has been abused post war with the addition of some ghastly paint.

Andy

?

WOW!! now that is rely some kind of camouflage? some body must have been on something?

Thanks for replying and sorry for the quality of the pictures, im new here. The helmet dosen't have "horns". is it possible that they have came loose or something? The paint job is terrible i know, i got it from my granpa and he tought he could restore it or something.

Default Ww2 helmet

Thanks for replying and sorry for the quality of the pictures, im new here. The helmet dosen't have "horns". is it possible that they have came loose or something? The paint job is terrible i know, i got it from my granpa and he tought he could restore it or something.

Yes, it is possible the horns came of they where seperate pieces riveted in the helmet. I think yours is an original, but very abused one. Still nice if you got it from your grandpa for free!

Nice that your grandpa got this little piece of history. Still looks like a very solid shell with what may be a small shrapnel hole in the front and top of the dome. Looks like there is no remaining paint inside but who knows, perhaps there is some under the exterior post war paint. Do a search on removing paint using the search box top right side of this page and you will be able to find some posts about how to do this.

Yes, the rivets have simply popped out or been taken out at some point however you can get replacements for them as well as liner bands, and liner band rivets so you could potentially restore it or just remove the paint and as leave as is.

If you do want to restore try German Military Reproductions as they have everything you would need. Normally, with an original shell, even if in relic condition, I would strongly suggest leaving as is however this is neither so a good little project if you want. However, if it an original that you are after then save the money to put towards a period correct example.

Attached is a photo of a vent lug rivet from the inside:
    ww2 hemet?

Thank you all for so fast replays. Just one more thing to ask. What is the orginal paint? Its th black or red orginal? I a bit scared of removing them becose if they are real. i do not want to disrespect or harm the helmet.

The original paint inside and out would have been a shade of olive green similar to the picture I posted. Slightly darker on the outside due to patination. Some factories used a slightly darker paint such as the paint seen on a Bell L.

I would suggest working on a tiny area at first one layer at a time to see what’s underneath. Member Luis has some experience with this and might be able to provide some guidance.

Andy

I should also mention that the photo that I provided of the interior of an M16 German WW1 helmet shows a stick protruding from the inside of the vent lug. Soldiers often inserted sticks or mud to keep the cold out but also to prevent a whistling noise that sometimes occurred.

Andy

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast