Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Alcoso Sword - Need help identifying please

Article about: Hi everyone, I'm new at this and wanting to gather opinions on the sword that I recently purchased (I know, best to ask prior to purchase). I have enjoyed reading other posts and learning so

Default Alcoso Sword - Need help identifying please

Hi everyone, I'm new at this and wanting to gather opinions on the sword that I recently purchased (I know, best to ask prior to purchase). I have enjoyed reading other posts and learning so much information, however there is so much more to learn. I have researched this sword on the site here and believe that it appears to be similar to sword #5, on page 1 in the sticky post "Swords of the Third Reich, Imperial through 1945 - Quick Reference"

Swords of the Third Reich, Imperial through 1945 - Quick Reference

Any insight on authenticity, time period, or really any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you ahead of time!

Alcoso Sword - Need help identifying pleaseAlcoso Sword - Need help identifying pleaseAlcoso Sword - Need help identifying pleaseAlcoso Sword - Need help identifying pleaseAlcoso Sword - Need help identifying pleaseAlcoso Sword - Need help identifying pleaseAlcoso Sword - Need help identifying pleaseAlcoso Sword - Need help identifying pleaseAlcoso Sword - Need help identifying pleaseAlcoso Sword - Need help identifying pleaseAlcoso Sword - Need help identifying pleaseAlcoso Sword - Need help identifying pleaseAlcoso Sword - Need help identifying pleaseAlcoso Sword - Need help identifying please

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Alcoso Sword - Need help identifying please
    P
    Many

Alcoso Model # 119 and very handsome

I would love to add this model to my collection as well.
    Thankyou for sharing and the Forums Swordsmen will be along shortly.

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Thank you Larry, I appreciate your input and look forward to what others have to say as well.

Army sword knot, red eyes, Artillery. Forgot what variation name the eagle on the hilt is (Alcoso model#119 reference Larry provided helps find that) but that is an excellent sword with a great condition too. Scabbard coating looks new though from the distance the image was taken. A close up of the finish please?

Hi Rich, Thank you for the information. Here are some pictures of the scabbard as requested. Let me know if anything other angles or pictures are needed. I look forward to hearing what your's or anyone else's thoughts are. Thanks again!

Alcoso Sword - Need help identifying pleaseAlcoso Sword - Need help identifying pleaseAlcoso Sword - Need help identifying pleaseAlcoso Sword - Need help identifying pleaseAlcoso Sword - Need help identifying pleaseAlcoso Sword - Need help identifying pleaseAlcoso Sword - Need help identifying please

?

The scabbard was for sure repainted but it happend. Over time, you will certainly be looking for copies with an original coating. This is not a big downside.
    The braid of the handle is original, it is not visible that anything in the handle is being repaired, the saber is not pulled out from what is visible. Nice example with the correct portepee included which is always nice.
    My example for comparison.

Alcoso Sword - Need help identifying pleaseAlcoso Sword - Need help identifying please

radko7, I like your sword, thank you for sharing and for your input on my sword and scabbard. Can I ask if there is anything, other than no patina or rusting, to look for when identifying if a scabbard is repainted? This way I can look, in future, for reference in finding one with original coating. Thanks again!

?

Quote by JJmaggz View Post
    Can I ask if there is anything, other than no patina or rusting, to look for when identifying if a scabbard is repainted? This way I can look, in future, for reference in finding one with original coating.
    It is very easy to identify. It is enough to have a scabbard in your hand in the original paint at least once.
    It usually has a characteristically shiny, smooth surface - it is difficult to describe it, better to see it.

Alcoso Sword - Need help identifying pleaseAlcoso Sword - Need help identifying pleaseAlcoso Sword - Need help identifying please

Hi JJmaggz, Your sabre is by the well known manufacturer Alexander Coppel and Sonne of Solingen and is, in my opinion 100% original with a cast brass lion head hilt. The lion has red eyes which is a standard feature and, unlike German Naval swords, have no specific meaning with regard to branch of service etc. I would date your sword at circa 1936/7. Although ALCOSO produced some very attractive edged weapons, this model is is slightly spoiled having a fine lion head but a rather indistinct obverse langet eagle with poorly styled wings, but that is only a matter of my own personal opinion and does not detract from the overall item or value. The condition of your sword looks excellent and the repainting of a scabbard, provided it is to a good standard, does not detract from the overall weapon. Rather a repainted/repaired scabbard than no scabbard? All I would do with a repainted scabbard is a give it a light rub down with very fine wet and dry or even crocus paper then apply several coats of black boot polish and a good shine. On plain steel scabbards I usually use blue boot polish. The knot is a standard pattern Army knot but in need of minor refurbishment using dubbin or saddle soap etc to soften it and prevent any more cracking or crazing etc.

You have, what I would describe as, a very nice early Army officer's sword in good to excellent condition and an item that I would be happy to own. Happy hunting, it needs one or two friends to keep it company! Hope that this is of interest to you.

Chhers Michael R

Great to have your input again on the forum Michael, the pinned threads you produced on sword identification & features, remain a much used and valuable resource for WRF members. Regards & stay safe.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast