Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Artillerie Extrasabel with unit markings (24th Holsteinisches Artillerie)

Article about: Hello everyone just wanted to show a nice car boot sale find last year. The hilt has lost most of its plating and is worn but the blade is in pretty good shape considering the scabbard is lo

?

Default Artillerie Extrasabel with unit markings (24th Holsteinisches Artillerie)

Hello everyone just wanted to show a nice car boot sale find last year. The hilt has lost most of its plating and is worn but the blade is in pretty good shape considering the scabbard is lost to time. The unit marking is 24th Artillerie regiment battery 2 rack no.54. If anyone has any history on the regiment it would be nice to know please?
    Looking forward to things opening up in the UK and to get out hunting again.

Thanks for looking

best wishes Luke
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Artillerie Extrasabel with unit markings (24th Holsteinisches Artillerie)   Artillerie Extrasabel with unit markings (24th Holsteinisches Artillerie)  

Artillerie Extrasabel with unit markings (24th Holsteinisches Artillerie)   Artillerie Extrasabel with unit markings (24th Holsteinisches Artillerie)  

Artillerie Extrasabel with unit markings (24th Holsteinisches Artillerie)  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Artillerie Extrasabel with unit markings (24th Holsteinisches Artillerie)
    P
    Many

That's a nice find.

?

Thank you

An interesting example of a unit marked private purchase type of Mannschaftsäbel. Not seen that often, but more of the artillery types are seen (IMO) than some other unit marked private purchase type swords. The 24th Holsteinisches Feld-Artillerie Regiment a part of the VIII Armes Korps, what I also found interesting is the sword that is to the front and below it. Which from what I can see, I imagine is a early/mid 19th century example of a British pattern 1822 Infantry Officer's sword with a "rib" back (Steckrückenklinge) blade. Best Regards, Fred

?

Thank you for your response. The sword below is indeed an 1822 pattern East India company Pipe back or Rib back blade. i mainly collect German but i like East India company swords and militaria because they were actually used a lot in combat in the sub continent and to remind me of our great British empire we once had Lol