Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Does this sword look authentic?

Article about: Hello. I came across this sword at a good price. It is described as an NCO dress sword about 1940. However, it looks to be different from other similar Heer swords, especially in the handle

Default Does this sword look authentic?

Hello. I came across this sword at a good price. It is described as an NCO dress sword about 1940. However, it looks to be different from other similar Heer swords, especially in the handle which has a shiny instead of the typical matte finish. It just looks different from the others that I have seen, but maybe that is just because this one may have had its handle unusually oiled or aggressively polished. Maybe it is the light or the way that the pic was taken, but there also seems to be an unusual slight copperish tone to some of the metal. Also, I have not seen another sword with this exact decorative pattern, which does not make it a fake, but certainly it is not the standard design. Please give me your opinion as to the authenticity of this sword or any other comments that you may have regarding it. Many thanks for your help.

Does this sword look authentic?Does this sword look authentic?Does this sword look authentic?Does this sword look authentic?Does this sword look authentic?Does this sword look authentic?Does this sword look authentic?Does this sword look authentic?Does this sword look authentic?Does this sword look authentic?Does this sword look authentic?Does this sword look authentic?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Does this sword look authentic?
    P
    Many

The Devil is in the details.
    and the details are not that of a Third Reich Sword producer.

The forums Swordsmen will be along shortly and you may want to read through if you have not already a few of the pinned threads that are at the top of this forum.
    Im sure you have not seen them yet as I moved your thread here in the Sword forum for further review.

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Not as bad as some we see, but it is a post war reproduction. As Larry says, "the Devil is in the detail", I think I'll leave it at that.

I know nothing about swords.......and I'm sure there's a lot of details which are hiding the devil (?)....but it'd help me if say, the top 3 wrong bits could be pointed out so we can learn...hopefully the "Swordsmen" will elaborate when they drop by???

I might be wrong, but I am voting "good", time production.
    The eagle is ugly, I'll give you that.
    But it is not the first ugly TR sword I have seen. I have even seen worse.
    It probably was cheap, in the old days...
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

It is postwar produced..
    Wrong grip wire, overall lack finish in the details.. casting flaws in the grip.. to name a few errors..

Best regards,
    Lt. Col
    Ullergaard

Here is one of my swords..
    And how the grip wire should look like..
    And in the second picture I highlighted something you would not expect to see on a period tr sword..

I once owned a Dovehead sword that was equally ugly. Many of them were hand-finished, so it really would have depended on the skill of the artisan more than anything else.

Does this sword look authentic?

Regards, B.B.

I'll give you a fourth; grip appears to be plastic moulded not celluloid. TR blades are reproduced to deceive collectors. Listing the faults of the creation can also help the fakers perfect their work, and the fakes are getting better. They do watch high profile websites such as WRF and WAF. If you want learn about swords Compo start by studying some old threads. The more images of the good ones you view the easier you can pick the bad.

I agree.......I had that advice whilst writing the book (re Helmets)......but I chose to “publish and be damned”....we seem to spend a lot of time (and in some cases even seem to enjoy) telling people that they’ve got something wrong...

I respect the knowledge here...and agree that some newbies (wrongly) post BEFORE learning.....but there are a lot of “experts” out there on a variety of Forums etc.....as I’ve found, there’s LOADS of folk who THINK they know Home Front Helmet markings......but the key question/issue is the “why”.....No Forum is easy to navigate...and for every item there’s usually numerous Threads AND then there are those which are unhelpfully titled on the same topic. I’d suggest that most Newbies find a Forum AFTER they’ve made a purchase.....wrong but probably true.....posting the equivalent of well-you-should’ve-come-to-us-first helps no one. And no, I don’t think that’s what you posted.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast