Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Eickhorn Scharnhorst 1706 Model with etched blade ...

Article about: Good morning to all : here is a sword that is a puzzle This is clearly an Eickhorn sword from the feldmarschall serie but this magnificient blade is a WMW waffen !!! Have you ever encountere

Default Eickhorn Scharnhorst 1706 Model with etched blade ...

Good morning to all :

here is a sword that is a puzzle

This is clearly an Eickhorn sword from the feldmarschall serie but this magnificient blade is a WMW waffen !!! Have you ever encountered this type of mix ? Could it be period ? No trace of "pimping" on the handle whatsoever ... Any opinion ?

Many thanks in advance !

Regards

K.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Eickhorn Scharnhorst 1706 Model with etched blade ...
    P
    Many

A quality sword, beautiful etchings. Large areas of gilt still in place suggests it hasn't had a lot of handling. Just a suggestion of darkening on the hilt were a hand rested. Scabbard may even have original paint.

Hi Kurt, First, you have a very attractive sword in my opinion. And, I agree that the hilt is identical to the Eickhorn Scharnhorst and was probably either made by Eickhorn or possibly under licence by Waffenfabrik Max Weyersberg. Under the crossguard, Eickhorn invariably stamped their "DRP" patented mark. Is this present?? WMW used more than one trade mark but I do not recognise the one on your sword nor can I find it as yet. Provided that it is not a post war mark then that does not present a problem as a lot of blade manufacturers used alternative marks. I will do a bit of digging on your mark.

There are several possibilities for the hybrid nature of your sword:

1. Sword design was discretionary ergo the buyer purchased what the buyer wanted. If he wanted a WMW blade fitted to a CE hilt then without the CE logo and DRP stamp I would imagine that CE would have no objection as a sale is a sale. Therefore the blade and hilt would be contemporary with one and other?

2. With the CE DRP stamp, it is possible that the original owner my have upgraded his Eickhorn Scharnhorst plain bladed sword with the addition of a commemorative etched blade made by WMW?

3. Perhaps the officer was presented with a commemorative sword but preferring the CE hilt, had the blades swapped over proffesionally?

There are probably a number of other logical arguments for the sword as is, but, if it were mine I would be inclined toward option 1. I have an Eickhorn Field Marshall with an Imperial Damascus blade and am confident that it has not been cobbled together at least not post 1945. If you are unhappy with it, I could find a home for it!!!!!

Cheers Michael Ryan

Thank you both for your messages

@Michael : yes, there is the regular DRP marking on that sword ...

THank you very much for these precisions, it is quite impossible to know what precisely happened but i love to think it is period ...

THis sword isn't mine unfortunately, and it is for sale by someone i know ... In case you would be interested , i can give you his Email contact through private message so you get in touch with him ...

Best Regards

K.

Hi K, Sorry for my delayed response!! Yes, if the sword is still available, I would appreciate his details.

Regards and Happy New Year Michael R