Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

German Sword Construction.

Article about: I know, I can hear you thinking, Oh no nat another Sword Thread !!! Sorry but yes, I am setting this thread to try to answer some of the questions a would be sword collector may wish to ask

XXV. German Sword Construction.

XXVI. German Sword Construction.

XXVII. German Sword Construction.

XXVIII. German Sword Construction.

XXIX. German Sword Construction.

XXX. German Sword Construction.

XXXI. German Sword Construction.

XXXII. German Sword Construction.

XXV. Brass scabbard band with matching brass suspension ring. Scabbard obverse.
    XXVI. Steel scabbard band with matching steel suspension ring. Scabbard obverse.
    XXVII. Bavarian style steel suspension ring mounted directly onto the scabbard body, no scabbard band. Scabbard obverse.
    XXVIII. Steel scabbard band with matching fixed steel suspension ring and regaining loop. Scabbard reverse.
    XXIX. Steel scabbard band with matching steel suspension ring and regaining loop. Scabbard reverse.
    XXX. Bavarian style steel suspension ring mounted directly onto the scabbard body, no scabbard band. Scabbard reverse showing "home" made regaining ring attached to a leather support.
    XXXI. Brass double scabbard bands and matching suspension rings. Scabbard obverse showing relative band positioning.
    XXXII. Reverse view of an Air Force sword suspension sling. This item is shown as it forms a component part of the scabbard and is not meant to be detached.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement German Sword Construction.
    P
    Many

c. The Centre scabbard fittings when included in the scabbard pattern, comprise either:
    (1) A single narrow metal Band (Illustration XXXI Refers) used on metal scabbards which serves as a mounting base for the lower suspension ring or:
    (2) A tubular slip on piece of metal which is slid over the body of the scabbard and retained in position by either staples or screws. This fitment is usually found on leather scabbards and may vary from very plain to highly ornate.

XXXIII. German Sword Construction.

XXXIV. German Sword Construction.

XXXV. German Sword Construction.

XXXIII. Centre scabbard mounting and suspension ring in brass from a TR Naval Sabre.
    XXXIV. Centre scabbard mounting and suspension ring in nickel from a Fire Department Sabre.
    XXXV. Centre and upper scabbard mountings and single suspension ring in brass from an Imperial Austrian Naval Sabre.

d. The Lower scabbard fittings are usually referred to as the chape, shoe or drag of the scabbard. On leather scabbards and a small number of metal scabbards, the chape comprises a metal slip on cap retained in position by either screws or a staple. Their purpose it to cover and protect the open end of the scabbard body. The chape may vary from very plain to highly ornate. On most sabres the fitting is in the form of an inverted crest attached to the base of the scabbard to form a protective extension.

XXXVI. German Sword Construction.

XXXVII. German Sword Construction.

XXXVIII. German Sword Construction.

XXXIX. German Sword Construction.

XL. German Sword Construction.

XLI. German Sword Construction.

XLII. German Sword Construction.

XLIII. German Sword Construction.

XXXVI. Very ornate chape of an Imperial Austrian Naval sabre.
    XXXVII. Plain chape of a Fire Service sabre.
    XXXVIII. Very plain chape of an Imperial Army falcheon short sword.
    XXXIX. Ornate chape of an Imperial Bavarian Diplomatic sword.
    XL. Ornate chape of an Imperial Prussian Diplomatic sword with a steel scabbard.
    XLI. Ornate chape of a TR Naval sabre.
    XLII. Plain chape of a TR Police sword with a steel scabbard
    XLIII. Very plain chape of a TR Air Force sword with a leather covered steel scabbard.

XLIV. German Sword Construction.

XLV. German Sword Construction.

XLVI. German Sword Construction.

XLVII. German Sword Construction.

XLVIII. German Sword Construction.

XLIV. Sabre "Drag" finished in nickel plated steel.
    XLV. Unusual sabre drag in brass attached to a black painted steel scabbard.
    XLVI. Standard TR pattern sabre drag finished in black painted steel.
    XLVII. Large Imperial type sabre drag finished in nickel plated steel.
    XLVIII. Large and unusual TR pattern sword drag finished in black painted steel.

It is my hope that you find this Thread, on the subject of sword and sabre construction, both interesting and perhaps, more importantly, usefull. It is not definative and only a stab at the make up and nomenclatures of a German sword and sabre. If you have any other patterns of hilt, blade or scabbard which you are prepaired to share, please feel free to either add them on to the Thread or contact me for a chat. Likewise, if you disagree with any of my photos or comments, I would be most gratefull for your comments or observations. Like everyone else on this Forum, I am here to learn!!

Thank you for your support of this Thread. Should I come up with any further information pertinant to this Thread, I will add it as a supplement with cross references to whatever section it is applicable. Any information passed to me and used will be credited to the originator if they wish.

Regards and best wishes Michael Ryan
    Last edited by Michael Ryan; 10-02-2014 at 12:28 PM.

Supplement 1 The Scabbard (Reference: Section 3. b. (2) refers).

Occasionally, scabbards will be encountered that have been modified in various ways. These modifications are usually very small but significant and are made to bring the sword into line with either fresh regulations or for the benefit of the wearer.

The scabbard shown is a black leather sabre scabbard originally with a single brass ring suspension and no scabbard band. In order to hold the sword in the vertical regained position, the scabbard has had a regaining loop soldered onto the reverse side of the locket. In this case, the modification was probably made to conform with post 1933 TR Dress Regulations where by the weapon would hang in a vertical rather than a diagonal position??

Last edited by Michael Ryan; 10-02-2014 at 04:42 PM.

Supplement 2 The Blade (Reference: Section 2. i. refers).

Occasionally, manufacturers will omit their trade marks in favour of just the Firm's title. The tite can be placed on either ricasso or blade spine etc. In this case the "Wayersberg & Co - Solingen" has been etched into the spine of the blade.

Supplement 3 The Scabbard (Reference: Section 3. a. refers).

Details of the scabbard liners for an Imperial Army Artillery officer's sabre.

I. German Sword Construction.

II. German Sword Construction.

III. German Sword Construction.

IV. German Sword Construction.

I. General view of the positioning of the wood scabbard liners relative to the throat assembly and scabbard throat.
    II. Ditto from a slightly different angle.
    III. The scabbard liners aligned with the scabbard body.
    IV. Even the wood liners are marked during the assembly process.

Supplement 4 The Scabbard (Reference: Section 3. c. (1) refers).

The lower suspenssion ring and mount have been professionally removed leaving only the lower sacbbard band.

Supplement 5 The Scabbard (Reference: Section 3. b. (3) refers).

The lower suspenssion ring has been removed from this scabbard however, both the band and the mount have been left in situ. Unlike the regaining loop shown in Supplement 1. which has been soldered in position, this loop has merely been bent to shape and wrapped around the scabbard below the upper suspension ring. It also appears that some other fitment has been removed from the reverse side of the upper scabbard band? The scabbard belongs to a high quality Model 1889 infantry Officer's sword.

German Sword Construction. German Sword Construction.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast