Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

German sword.Period ?

Article about: Hello Gents, Can someone help me with some informations regarding the period of this sword ? It is before WW2 ?

Default German sword.Period ?

Hello Gents,

Can someone help me with some informations regarding the period of making of this sword ? It is before WW2 ? I know that imperial cannot be.

German sword.Period ? German sword.Period ?
    German sword.Period ?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement German sword.Period ?
    P
    Many

Well, I would say "imperial era" about 1890-1918, based on a number of features, probably for one of the smaller German states. Close up image of the etching would help. It is in good condition, but does it have a scabbard?

Quote by Anderson View Post
    Well, I would say "imperial era" about 1890-1918, based on a number of features, probably for one of the smaller German states. Close up image of the etching would help. It is in good condition, but does it have a scabbard?
    More or less the same opinion. At some point during WW I the Germans were short on brass and had to turn to substitutes (that also included brass for ammunition). The same thing occurring during the TR era before the shooting started. And/or with a little more information and some pictures I would not rule out between the wars during the Weimar period. Best Regards, Fred

There are some features that suggest Paul Weyersberg as maker.

Thank you for your answers.Indeed the sword is made by Paul Weyersberg,I will upload more photos.

German sword.Period ? German sword.Period ?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture German sword.Period ?   German sword.Period ?  

So you have a black painted scabbard with a single ring, (assuming it is original to the sword) that would suggest a date from 1910 onwards. The use of a ray skin grip cover also suggests the Imperial era with celluloid commonly used post WW1.

Thank you very much,Anderson ! This type of sword pattern is a rare one or is common ?

Lion head hilt sabres were common, but this particular type is less common based on maker and purpose. It is a private purchase sword, with decorative langets that don't suggest a particular branch of the military (such as crossed swords or cannons). As such it may be a generic type (suitable for all) or it could be produced for another specific market or civil association ie "vereins" sabre.

Thank you for all the answers provided.