Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Help please : Authentic WW2 German Officer sword ?

Article about: Hi everyone ! Some weeks ago I bought a small collection of military swords (for my own collection, not to sell it) and there was this ww2 german officer sword in the lot. I am a connoisseur

Default Help please : Authentic WW2 German Officer sword ?

Hi everyone !

Some weeks ago I bought a small collection of military swords (for my own collection, not to sell it) and there was this ww2 german officer sword in the lot.
    I am a connoisseur of the other swords that I have bought but I admit that I do not know anything about german swords and neither does the previous owner. He bought it in the early 80's and always thought it was a good one but looking on the internet today he wasn't sure anymore
    The price of the lot was fair so I didn't overpay for this sword, if it's an original one I would be very happy but if it's a copy I would not really loose money thinking of the price of the whole lot.

Can someone help me to know if it's an authentic one or not please ? Does it exist a (very) good book about ww2 swords ?

The maker is "E & F Horster" in Solingen (a well known maker), the blade is in perfect condition but the golden color of the handle is partly erased. I'm pretty sure it's a copy but there are a lot of different shapes of "lions head", german eagles etc and I found some similar swords made by Horster on the internet so who knows... Thanks in advance for your help !

Here are the pictures (there are 9 pictures, sorry in advance if it's too much) :

Thanks in advance and have all a nice day,
    Glenn

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Help please : Authentic WW2 German Officer sword ?
    P
    Many

Hello Oddball...the sword does have some details of being an Unattributed Horster ...( No Model Number )
    The grip back support ..does not appear in some of the pinned threads nor in Angolias Sword reference.

This is something for The forusm seasnoed swordsmen to comment further on.

The Portepee was added onto this sword recently ..and most likely is a current repro.
    A photo of the bottom inside of the knot should alos decide if its truly a repro.

Hang tight ..you WILL further answers.

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Hello Larry,

Thank you very much for your help, your time and all the informations !

The portepee looks indeed too new for me too, but here are a few more pictures to be sure

I hope we will find more informations about this sword

Thanks again and have a nice day,
    Glenn

?

I see nothing wrong with this sword. All elements are typical of the manufacturer whose early logo is on the blade. Scabbard with original paint.
    I have one example of the same pattern in my photo database.
    As for the portepee, it actually looks like a modern day work.

Please add a photo of the reverse of the handguard shield without the tied portepee.

Help please : Authentic WW2 German Officer sword ? Help please : Authentic WW2 German Officer sword ?

Hi radko7,

Thank you very much for your help ! I'm glad to see that your first impression of the sword is positive

I forgot to take pictures of the back at first because of the portepee I didn't want to take off (not knowing if it was original or not), so here are a few pictures Sorry pictures are a bit dark but it's already late here.

Thanks again,
    Glenn

EDIT : I don't know if it's authorized to post a link here on the forum but I just found two german militaria shops in France that sells E&F Horster swords really similar to the one you posted and to mine. One is the same gold color version with all the same details and the other one is a bit different, most details are the same (eagle, lion, engravings) except that the second one is in silver color with a kind of "stone" on the top of the head of the lion, they say it's a "Postschutz" version. I hope we will be able to determine if mine is an original too now but I have much less doubts than before Thanks for your help.
    Last edited by Oddballww2; 04-12-2022 at 11:22 PM.

?

@Glenn i have one more request please take one more photo of the top of the lion's head to assess whether the saber has been pulled out, because I have little doubts about it. Thanks.

@radko7 : Thanks again for your answer and help !

Here is the picture you asked for, I hope it will help you. Don't hesitate to ask if you need other pictures of course Thank you very much for your help.

Have a nice day,
    Glenn

?

In my opinion, there is nothing to worry about, I stand by my opinion that this is the most correct piece in a decent condition.

Thank you very much radko7, I'm really glad !

If anyone else has another opinion (or the same opinion), don't hesitate to let us know, thank you in advance

Thanks again and have a nice day,
    Glenn

Quote by Oddballww2 View Post
    The maker is "E & F Horster" in Solingen (a well known maker), the blade is in perfect condition but the golden color of the handle is partly erased. I'm pretty sure it's a copy but there are a lot of different shapes of "lions head", german eagles etc and I found some similar swords made by Horster on the internet so who knows... Thanks in advance for your help !
    Not to worry, it's a saber that was made after strategic metals like copper (the main component of brass) were restricted for use in non-Wehrmacht civilian sector production.
    Best Regards, Fred
    Attached Images Attached Images Help please : Authentic WW2 German Officer sword ? 

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast