Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

History lesson or a lesson in presentation swords?

Article about: Hola all, I posted in a previous thread about a couple swords/bayonets I purchase recently. One of the swords is a Prussian presentation sword. It has matching regiment/unit markings stamped

Default History lesson or a lesson in presentation swords?

Hola all,

I posted in a previous thread about a couple swords/bayonets I purchase recently.

One of the swords is a Prussian presentation sword. It has matching regiment/unit markings stamped on the sword as well as the scabbard.

It appears that the soldiers name was also etched into the guard? Here’s the part that I’m confused by... Peninsula, Waterloo, and Göhrde? All major battles between 1814-1855? This is probably a stupid question, and I feel I’m going to get a history lesson, but what gives? What’s the significance with those battles on this presentation sword. Sorry for a stupid question...

On the opposing side of the blade, “Felt. Art. Regt. V Scharnhorst (1 Hannov) N10. I’m assuming N10 has something to do with the 5th regiment? Wasn’t there a German battleship called the Scharnhorst?

Also faded and very difficult to see is etched on the blade, “Zum Andenken an meinen vater”... googles says.. “In memory of my father”.

A lot going on with this sword... back story with some nicks on the edge is... sellers son were playing gladiator! Ugggggg... not bad, only a few very small nicks.

Any thoughts will be much appreciated,,, thanks
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture History lesson or a lesson in presentation swords?   History lesson or a lesson in presentation swords?  

History lesson or a lesson in presentation swords?   History lesson or a lesson in presentation swords?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement History lesson or a lesson in presentation swords?
    P
    Many

MAP
    ?

These are of course famous battles that the Hanoverians fought in against the French. Not uncommon to see this.

Look at this Prussian (Hanover) Pickelhaub wappen

Prussian (Hanover) 10th Field Artillery One Year Volunteer Pickelhaube - Headgear - Age of Kings Militaria

The number 10 I am assuming is for the 10th (aka 1st Hanover) Field regiment.

List of Imperial German artillery regiments - Wikipedia
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Yes, as MAP points out these are the battle honours of an old Field Artillery regiment, the 10th (1st Hannover) Field Artillery "Von Scharnhorst". Raised in 1803 it served in the Napoleonic war as part of the Prussian Army. Gerhard Von Scharnhorst was himself a Hannoverian and a key General in the Prussian Army. The sword itself tells the story. In your earlier thread you show the regimental marks on the scabbard "10.Ar.2.50". So this was an issue sword for Kompanie 2 and sabre number 50.
    The 10th Field Art regiment Von Scharnhorst also was part of the World War 1 era 9th Cavalry Division from 1914 to 1918. As such it was a Horse Artillery regiment and the sword painted in field grey was very likely carried into combat at least in the early stages of WW1. I would like to see a photo of the memorial etching. It is possible it was used by two generations of same family. Perhaps a father had used it pre WW1 and acquired it on discharge, then taken to war by a son serving in same regiment. The name is a possible research clue. This is a very collectable sword.

Thank you both for the great information... I will be doing some research today.

I will try to photograph the memorial etching... it’s very faint but it’s there. I will upload it later today.

I thought I posted pics of the unit number on scabbard and blade. I will post now.

That old scrip isn’t the easiest for these bad eyes to make out.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture History lesson or a lesson in presentation swords?   History lesson or a lesson in presentation swords?  

Last edited by 26Intrepid; 11-24-2020 at 06:20 PM.

It was difficult to photograph but hope you can make it out. Unfortunately, they uploaded backwards... so, start with the bottom one and work upwards. Thanks again, D

That's not a professional etching, more like "homemade" and probably done by a former owner, which fits with the father & son theory I would think.

Yes, it’s very faint and actually wonder how they did that type of etching back in the day.

I did end up purchasing the English P1897 sword that we discussed in the other thread. It actually turned out the best out of the 3 swords. The leather scabbard was badly deteriorated and coming apart. The leather drag was torn apart from the scabbard. I’m working on putting it all back together.

Thanks again for the info,
    D

The example posted here a private purchase off duty model dress saber for enlisted artillerymen (also seen for different formations are other models of swords) the unit marked examples were confusing because they were not as suitable for actual field operations being invariably smaller and much less robust than the government issue types. The pattern for the issued artillery types being the M 1856 n/A as pictured below with about the same difference in size seen between it and the larger M 1811 saber below it (ie: the dress saber (not pictured) being noticeably smaller than the M 1856 n/A if it was placed on top of the others in the photo). Best Regards, Fred
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture History lesson or a lesson in presentation swords?  

Here is the blade for the M1856 n/A artillery saber. Best Regards, Fred
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture History lesson or a lesson in presentation swords?  

Yes, my sword wouldn’t be suitable for battle. It’s just a nice looking and flimsy sword with nice detail. The swords you’ve posted are heavy metal battle swords.

I think it’s kind of bizarre to see a presentation sword with unit/regiment stamps on the blade and scabbard.

Thank you again for your comments and pics... D
    Last edited by 26Intrepid; 11-25-2020 at 12:53 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast