Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Identification Help! German WW2 era officer's cavalry sabre

Article about: I was told that this sabre is German WW2 era sabre. However, it does not have a swastika or eagle which I would have expected for a WW2 era sabre. There are no markings, stampings, hallmarks

Default Identification Help! German WW2 era officer's cavalry sabre

I was told that this sabre is German WW2 era sabre. However, it does not have a swastika or eagle which I would have expected for a WW2 era sabre. There are no markings, stampings, hallmarks or cartouches on the blade, and blade looks quite shiny for being 70 years old. Scabbard is black (paint or enameled) and does look old, with chips etc. The tattered tassel definitely looks its 70 years.

Could anybody throw some light? Much appreciate it.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Identification Help!  German WW2 era officer's cavalry sabre   Identification Help!  German WW2 era officer's cavalry sabre  

Identification Help!  German WW2 era officer's cavalry sabre   Identification Help!  German WW2 era officer's cavalry sabre  

Identification Help!  German WW2 era officer's cavalry sabre  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Identification Help!  German WW2 era officer's cavalry sabre
    P
    Many

Default Re: Identification Help! German WW2 era officer's cavalry sabre

This pattern of sword was also made before the Third Reich era so it is not unusual to find one without the Eagle/Swastika.

Thanks! Were these made after the war though? I will be happy if it is older to WW2, but not so much if younger

any makers marks etc? more detail will help

Quote by KradSpam View Post
    any makers marks etc? more detail will help
    None at all, either on blade or hilt.

Other than fakes, these were not made post WW2.

Yours looks fine to me as a 1930's era item. Sorry I don't know the pattern name: others will know.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

pretty sure it's a dove head cavalry sword with a cavalry trodell may be red and gold in the end of the acorn, (not sure what number model the sword is though)hope this helps
    cheers Ronnie