MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

Imperial Navy Sword WWI?

Article about: Hi everyone, hoping you can provide some insight/expertise on a sword I found at a local shop. I was looking at purchasing this sword and was told it was WWI imperial navy/marine sword. I’

Default Imperial Navy Sword WWI?

Hi everyone, hoping you can provide some insight/expertise on a sword I found at a local shop. I was looking at purchasing this sword and was told it was WWI imperial navy/marine sword. I’ve been looking over information online to check for signs of authenticity. I looked in to the makers mark which appears to be Carl Eickhorn, Solingen from 1935-41 (so that stands out). It also looks like new felt was put on to protect the handle/scabbard? Any help on what years this may be from or if this is indeed authentic or unfortunately fake would be really appreciated! Thank you!

Imperial Navy Sword WWI?Imperial Navy Sword WWI?Imperial Navy Sword WWI?Imperial Navy Sword WWI?Imperial Navy Sword WWI?Imperial Navy Sword WWI?Imperial Navy Sword WWI?Imperial Navy Sword WWI?Attachment 1559352Imperial Navy Sword WWI?Imperial Navy Sword WWI?Imperial Navy Sword WWI?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Imperial Navy Sword WWI?
    P
    Many

Hello JJ welcome to the forum...looks like a few things going on with this sword ..and most noticeably is the brand new white buffer beneath the crossguard and the perfectly white grip.
    The Forums swordsmen will be along shortly to fill in the rest of the blanks...please dont purchase this until you get exact information on the details of this sword.
    I will also move this thread to our swords forum.

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Larry, thank you for the quick reply. My apologies for the incorrect forum post and thank you for moving to the correct area. I am definitely going to hold off until I hear some more feedback. I was questioning the grip and buffer like you mentioned. Thanks again.

It's not WW1, in fact the model is a design common during WW2, however this sword was made post WW2. It is a replica, but quite well made. There is a possibility it is a post WW2 made Eichhorn sword. They certainly made replica Third Reich era daggers post war and some sword production aimed at the international military market continued until the 1970's.

It looks post WW2 to me as well. Best Regards, Fred

?

Quote by Anderson View Post
    It's not WW1, in fact the model is a design common during WW2, however this sword was made post WW2. It is a replica, but quite well made. There is a possibility it is a post WW2 made Eichhorn sword. They certainly made replica Third Reich era daggers post war and some sword production aimed at the international military market continued until the 1970's.
    Well the Germans did rebuild a navy fleet after 1956, they need ceremonial swords and daggers as well, so this could be a standard post war one.
    Hörster for example produced during and after WW2 navy daggers.....

Ger

Thank you to everyone for all of the great insights! It’s really appreciated. I ended up passing on this item as I would prefer a WWI or WWII original. Thanks again.