Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Lion head sword - thoughts?

Article about: Hello Everyone, I’m a brand new member of these forums, so please be patient with me. I have a lion head sword, and thanks to the help of MAP and AZPhil, I was directed to this forum to po

RTP
    ?

Default Lion head sword - thoughts?

Hello Everyone,

I’m a brand new member of these forums, so please be patient with me. I have a lion head sword, and thanks to the help of MAP and AZPhil, I was directed to this forum to post pictures and ask for help identifying/describing what I have.

The sword was given to me 35 years ago by my great-uncle. He served in the US Army in WWII and brought this back with him. It has essentially been untouched since he gave it to me, and now I’m looking to learn more about it.

I know very, very little about these, so apologies in advance for my ignorance. I don’t know all of the correct terms for describing the various features and parts. I’m here to listen and learn, and look forward to interacting with anyone who is willing to.

Pictures follow. If anyone wants to see a close up of something specific, or a different angle, I’d be happy to take more. I have made no attempt to clean or polish the blade, handle, scabbard, or anything else because I don’t know if that is the correct thing to do, or a no-no.

Thank you very much in advance for any help. Your expertise on these forums is much appreciated.

RTP

Lion head sword - thoughts?Lion head sword - thoughts?Lion head sword - thoughts?Lion head sword - thoughts?Lion head sword - thoughts?Lion head sword - thoughts?Lion head sword - thoughts?Lion head sword - thoughts?Lion head sword - thoughts?Lion head sword - thoughts?Lion head sword - thoughts?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Lion head sword - thoughts?
    P
    Many

RTP, What you have is an Imperial era Artillery Officer's (abbreviated)-Lionhead saber with a generic style of etch common to swords from that era. From the images it looks like it could use a little TLC - and there are a number of different approaches but they depend to a large extent on the knowledge/skill of the individual (with some attempts causing more harm than good) and what the goal is. Best Regards, Fred

RTP
    ?

Thank you Frogprince, I appreciate the info. I know it needs some care, but I’m afraid to do anything without direction.
    Just wondering... is there any way to tell manufacturer or age from what you see? It has absolutely no markings, logos, dates, etc. so I’m curious how one would learn more?

Condition not the best but it is an interesting sword with some unusual decorative hilt features, probably pre-WW1 era, worthy of a little more research.

?

Swords of the Third Reich, Imperial through 1945 - Quick Reference

Don't know if you have read this thread.. Welcome to the Forum ! G
    I'd rather be A "RaD Man than a Mad Man "

RTP
    ?

Thanks Gwar, I have not read that thread, but I’ll check it out.

?

If you look under the langets you might find a maker and sometimes they put the makers mark on the edge at the top. Its a nice sword but not super valuable. Rob

RTP
    ?

Thanks Kryton, I’ll check those spots when I have a chance.

?

A little on the worn side with some of the plating bubbling off the blade, But a nice sword. The handle is shark skin. The greenish residue looks like dried polish. Brasso does that if you don't get it all cleaned out.

Possible hit it with soft bristle toothbrush. Nothing aggressive, Just a little Tender Loving Care like mentioned above. Coat the blade with some fine oil and rub it down to get grime off and preserve what is there.

And yes take a peek under the langet for a maker mark or name

Semper Fi
    Phil

Nice sword,like that deep etch

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast