Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Maintaining Third Reich Dress Sword

Article about: Hello, I recently obtained a dress sword and would like to know how to maintain it. I live in a hot and humid place so preservation is quite an important subject. I apologise if this has bee

Default Maintaining Third Reich Dress Sword

Hello,

I recently obtained a dress sword and would like to know how to maintain it. I live in a hot and humid place so preservation is quite an important subject. I apologise if this has been answered before, I am asking as I an unable to find information on this.

I have a bottle of mineral oil and from my current understanding, this is fine to apply onto the blade. What I’m clueless on is the scabbard, grip, leather, and “brass?” parts. I am currently keeping it in a rifle case with silica gel.

Thanks for reading, I hope to be able to be able to preserve it the best I can.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Maintaining Third Reich Dress Sword
    P
    Many

Hello Xander..what type of Third Reich Sword do you have...what model type?
    Do you have a photo to give the community here an idea how they may help you?

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Maintaining Third Reich Dress Sword

Hi Larry, it's an Eickhorn Wrangel. My apologies don't know why I didn't include the model. This image was taken from the seller.

Hello Xander...lovely sword..and a nice Eickhorn pattern...great condition from what I can see.

I also live in an area that is hot and humid ,but not all year round..just spring and summer when the humidity is up.
    For the sword and its upkeep ...Im not a fan of putting oil on a blade and Im sure others will chime in if there are other spirits they use that may be the same as oil ...but for myself with my swords ...I periodically wipe them done with a cotton cloth ...prior to that I wipe them down and apply a coating of Ren Wax.

When you get your sword...the community would love to see all of its glory in greater photos
    Hang tight..other swill be along to chime in on maintaining your sword.

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

I live in a moderate climate, so preservation is less of an issue and a light oil or acid free vaseline will do. For a hot and humid climate, I believe Renaissance Wax is a good choice for the metal parts. Buy a pair of cheap cotton gloves from China to handle it and inspect it regularly. Fingerprints are a killer over time. Start with quarterly inspections and see f you can bring that back to twice a year or yearly. Use that experience to find out what works for you in your circumstances.

?

I keep mine out of the scabbard and wipe down every once in a while with cloth and Balistol.

MAP
    ?

Just don't treat the leather IMHO. Most products actually hurt /ruin the leather
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

I strongly agree with MAP, leave the leather alone and in its original state. Oils or treatments on leather will do far more harm than good.

I would personally use Ren Wax (Renaissance Wax) instead of oils, it should work well for the metal components as previously stated.

Beautiful sword too!

Maintaining Third Reich Dress SwordMaintaining Third Reich Dress Sword

Hi and thanks for all the replies! I already received the sword, I'm just not very good at photography. I hope I didn't mess up as I applied a coat of mineral oil onto the blade and sheathed it.

Looks like ren wax is highly recommended for the metal parts. Do I apply the ren wax onto the celluloid grip as well? I will leave the leather buffer alone but is residual ren wax from the scabbard mouth safe? Or do I store it unsheathed?

Kind regards and thanks
    Xander

Leave the grip alone ..the scabbard and blade is all you need to apply to.

I cant see in the photos is the Hilt all Brass..or is it gilded gold over aluminum ?

Best Larry

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast