Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

Need opinions on this Forestry Cutlass with Portepee...

Article about: Hi all, I need some opinions on this Forestry Cutlass with Portepee. I've never purchased one, and don't currently own one, so I'm not sure what to look for in terms of assuring its genuine.

?

Default Need opinions on this Forestry Cutlass with Portepee...

Hi all,

I need some opinions on this Forestry Cutlass with Portepee. I've never purchased one, and don't currently own one, so I'm not sure what to look for in terms of assuring its genuine. From the photos it looks good, and appears to be in good shape underneath the muck on the blade.

Also, though you cannot see it well in the photos, the owner says the etching is indeed visible in the right lighting. Again, I think the muck on the blade is masking it quite a bit - needs a good cleaning.

Thoughts??

Thanks!
    Dzyner

I collect German Daggers.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Need opinions on this Forestry Cutlass with Portepee...
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: Need opinions on this Forestry Cutlass with Portepee...

Anyone?

?

I'm also curious if you guys think $350 is fair for this. It certainly seems like a good price based on what I've noted in terms of similar knives, but then I'm not sure what all of the differences are between them and this one.

Hi Darren, I am bumping this back up for you. I cannot advise, as what I know about these you could write on the back of a postage stamp and have room to spare!

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

There is something about this blade that does not look right,I hope it just needs a good cleaning.Hate to say but it looks like a blade made in India . Please understand I am just a collector and by no means an expert.

?

all but the blade look right. nice tarnish to the brass, the leather looks right, but that blade bug's me too. i really would expect a stronger etch. and i did not see a makers mark. i have 2 of these daggers, you can compare them.
    andrew
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Need opinions on this Forestry Cutlass with Portepee...   Need opinions on this Forestry Cutlass with Portepee...  

Need opinions on this Forestry Cutlass with Portepee...   Need opinions on this Forestry Cutlass with Portepee...  

Need opinions on this Forestry Cutlass with Portepee...   Need opinions on this Forestry Cutlass with Portepee...  

?

Thanks for the bump Ade! I posted this knife on another forum as well and have since had quite a few replies, none mentioned any problems with the blade. That doesn't mean there isn't a problem though. Comparing the rather horrible photos from the seller that I posted to this thread, to the example Andrew posted, I see the basic shape and length of the blade is consistent, including where the flat metal tapers into the blade. I also note that in Andrew's first photo, which was taken at a similar angle to the ones I posted, it is very difficult to see etching.

The seller did mentioned the etching is indeed visible, a hunting scene. I should get the knife this week and will take better photos once received.

Thanks again guys!
    Dzyner

?

Hi guys. I received the knife and it looks great! The blade etching has faded a LOT though. The hunting scenes on either side of the blade, as well as the leaf pattern down the length of the blade along the thin edge, can be seen if you hold the knife at the right angle, and in the right lighting, but the etchings are not deep or pronounced. Is this normal for blades of this period? Perhaps at some point in time someone tried to buff the blade?

Also, there is no maker mark on either side of the blade, although the blade shaft that passes through the grip has the letters "C. E." reverse stamped into the metal if that helps?

I posted better photos on my site, with close up shots of the etching. Have a look and let me know what you think...

Late 1800s Hunting / Forestry Cutlass

Also, please let me know what you think about the blade condition and how it will impact value.

Thanks!
    Dzyner