Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Please help identify this sword

Article about: I recently acquired this sword which was made by Carl Eickhorn so I knew that it was a German made sword, possibly a contract sword made for some South American country because I was unfamil

Default Please help identify this sword

I recently acquired this sword which was made by Carl Eickhorn so I knew that it was a German made sword, possibly a contract sword made for some South American country because I was unfamiliar with the eagle head pommel. The sword is beautifully made and it has the folding guards and the eagle head has either ruby, or red garnet eyes. On further inspection on the blade,was an eagle crest, which at first I thought might belong to some German city state, however, I am now of the opinion it could be a heraldic coat of arms. On the other side there is what I believe to be the Teutonic Order Cross.

Based on what I could find on the internet, I believe this sword to be Imperial German approximately 1871-1898 and possibly a justice sword; but these are all guesses and I really could use some help.
    Please help identify this swordPlease help identify this swordPlease help identify this swordPlease help identify this sword

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Please help identify this sword
    P
    Many

Default Re: Please help identify this sword

Hi, going by the style of the Eickhorn makers mark, this is Third Reich era in date. The cross insignia is Portugese I think?

Cheers, Ade
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

The coat of arms is Roumania.
    Coat of arms of Romania - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    cheers
    |<ris
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

Well done Kris.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

My pleasure!
    I just like coat of arms!
    Got a large collection coat of arms on....buttons...!! ;-)
    Nice sword btw!Never saw a similar one before.
    cheers
    |<ris
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

?

I have not seen one like it either , love the etch , a very nice piece .
    REGARDS AL

We are the Pilgrims , master, we shall go
    Always a little further : it may be
    Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow
    Across that angry or that glimmering sea...

I wish to thank all of the above for the information provided;is it Third Reich vintage ?
    Regards to all,

Quote by Destroyah View Post
    I wish to thank all of the above for the information provided;is it Third Reich vintage ?
    Regards to all,
    Very likely. That particular coat of arms was used by Romania 1922-1947. And seeing how it's Solingen and Eickhorn marked I would place it WW II era. They were a Nazi ally.

It's officer grade from the looks of it. I would place more value than a German Officers Dress Sabre of the same condition, the ones with the lions head pommel, since fewer numbers were produced for the Romanian Army I would imagine.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Thanks for the information Ned; I think you are right about it being officer's grade.It is a beautiful straight, single fullered sword, with folding guards, and a plated scabbard. I got lucky, it would seem!
    Regards,

Quote by big ned View Post
    Very likely. That particular coat of arms was used by Romania 1922-1947. And seeing how it's Solingen and Eickhorn marked I would place it WW II era. They were a Nazi ally.

It's officer grade from the looks of it. I would place more value than a German Officers Dress Sabre of the same condition, the ones with the lions head pommel, since fewer numbers were produced for the Romanian Army I would imagine.

Regards, Ned.
    It's a nice sword, with the added bonus of being a scarce one . Fred