Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Polizei NCO Degen - Pommel Cap Gap

Article about: Hello All! I recently bought this Polizei from Wittmann Antique Militaria, but have a question based on another thread I read on this forum from a year or so ago. In that post others identif

Default Polizei NCO Degen - Pommel Cap Gap

Hello All!

I recently bought this Polizei NCO Degen from Wittmann Antique Militaria, but have a question based on another thread I read on this forum from a year or so ago. In that post others identified a fake Polizei NOC Degen for several reasons, including a loose pommel cap with gaps around it. So my question is this, what is considered an acceptable amount of gap space between the pommel cap and the handle? If small gaps are present is this a way to identify a sword that may have been disassembled at some point? As always, any and all help is greatly appreciated!

Spartan

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Polizei NCO Degen - Pommel Cap Gap
    P
    Many

Spartan ...I am...would you be able to find that past thread and post a link to that thread here in this thread?
    How loose is the pommel cap and have you contacted Wittmann about it?
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Hello Larry,

Thank you for the response, the pommel cap is not loose at all and I doubt I could remove it without tools. There are just some small gaps around the edges that just about fit a piece of paper under the edges of the pommel cap. Other better pictures I have seen seem to show the pommel cap fitting more flush with the handle. I will try and find the other thread and post it under this thread. Also, I just got this Degen today, and was seeing what opinions I could get on the forum before contacting Wittmann. Though I will probably contact him tomorrow or Friday regardless.

Here is the aforementioned thread, though there are several other things wrong with the Degen in this thread:

Polizei sword markings

Spartan

Quote by SpartanX9 View Post
    Hello Larry,

Thank you for the response, the pommel cap is not loose at all and I doubt I could remove it without tools. There are just some small gaps around the edges that just about fit a piece of paper under the edges of the pommel cap.
    I have seen other Nco Produced examples that a thin piece of paper could be slipped under the pommel cap....but not all ...there are not many but some.
    The link you provided doesnt show the same issue except that in the link the degen has the wrong pommel cap.

IMO ..from what I have studied from other producers of Nco Police degens ......" that just about fit a piece of paper under the edges of the pommel cap " ...I see no issue with that.
    Take into consideration that some daggers and swords do have minute assembly defects as these swords were produced and assembled by hand. Sometimes a millimeter can show these changes.
    Not every dagger and sword by each producer will be exactly identical to each other.....From one producer as an example ...each dagger or sword will " Look "identical ..but a deeper study will show a slight deviation ....in a color application or a physical sharp detail. Not all the same type of edged weapon will be the same ...except seeing later on that slight deviation a I mentioned above.

When I began collecting ...I was too critical and too much of a purist when searching for daggers.
    Nothing wrong with being a purist and wanting something correct....but with the word purist you have to add balance to it with the word consistency.
    There is a bit of a divided between Purist and Consistency.

I hope that makes sense

You can still call Wittmann if you wish if it will make feel better or you can wait for more replies on this thread.

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Hello Larry,

Thank you for the helpful insight, I am always learning something on this forum.

Spartan

?

I see no issues here, the gap yours is showing will be the result of a blow to the pommel cap/hilt, it has upset the top of the tang a bit, causing a gap and a cap that cant be turned.
    The gripeagle is the aluminium type that we see on these Weyersberg.
    Loosen the Portepee a bit and compare the ferrule, thats very easy to compare, look at the lovely rounded shapes and the perfect acorns.
    Here one to compare.

cheers
    Ger

Hello Ger,

Thank you for the reply. What you stated about it being dropped makes sense. I tried, without tools, to remove the pommel cap and could not get it to move even a little. I compared my Degen to the one in the picture and it is nearly identical. So everything checks out, and I am keeping it. Thank you to both you and Larry for helping me, as a young collector, I look forward to many more years of learning and collecting. One final question, is there any specific thread to post a showcase of a full collection of both German and Japanese period items?

Spartan
    Last edited by SpartanX9; 03-08-2024 at 08:01 PM.

Hi Spartan..Im happy you are satisfied with your sword

To answer your question in regards to German Militaria...you can go to the main index page of the forum and there you will see many listings of varied German forums and sub forums for what you have to share here with the community.

The Japanese forum if you scroll down 4 more forums and you will see the Axis Military forum ...within that you will see the Japanese sub forum.

Regards Larry