Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Put this sword on hold.

Article about: A quick backstory; My daughter has always worked really hard at her studies. This has been true since the first grade it seems. When she reached high school, I built her a shotgun (I work fo

Quote by carpediem View Post
    Thanks Ralph. I wondered if it was pre TR. I guess it is impossible to say how long it may have served. It could well have been used right into the TR, albeit being a Weimar period product. I was glad to have secured it!
    Quite possibly used during the TR period if it was owned by a father, it could have been used by a son who was entitled to wear it.
    It is believed my example was worn during the TR period due to the plated scabbard.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Put this sword on hold.
    P
    Many

Quote by rbminis View Post
    Quite possibly used during the TR period if it was owned by a father, it could have been used by a son who was entitled to wear it.
    It is believed my example was worn during the TR period due to the plated scabbard.
    Ralph.
    That's okay too. It is less about when and more about the clear association with actual mounted cavalry soldiers. Weimar, or TR, inconsequential really. I would think that actual cavalry officers in the TR would have used the standard officer saber with no real breakdown to cavalry, pioneer, artillery apart from any engraving.

Update - - I spoke to two jewelers today about the possibility of resetting some inexpensive rubies in the eyes of this sword to restore it to it's original appearance. One said he was uncomfortable working on it, the other said it was likely not a problem.
    Does anyone have a close up of an Alcoso Lion Head from the Weimar period? I would like to get an idea for the look of the stones, were they faceted or not etc., and also how they were retained. Are they even real gems or just red glass?
    I just want it to look as it should, I am not going to flip out over the use of "non-original" parts on it.

?

A quick backstory;
    My daughter has always worked really hard at her studies. This has been true since the first grade it seems. When she reached high school, I built her a shotgun (I work for a firearms company) while on my breaks from the routine shotgun building I was doing every day.
    Now, she is in her first year of college and continues to work very hard and do very well. She already has enough credits that she is a sophomore and made the Deans List first semester as well as acceptance to an honor society.
    For her work, and since she loves horses, tonight I put the following item on hold for her and will get it prior to her coming home for the summer.
    I went with this because as well as her love of horses, the German armed forces were the last really to use "cavalry" to any large extent in the modern era, and this is representative of that bygone time. And yes, she also collects WWII items.
    These images are the sellers and not mine.
    As always, comments are welcome and thanks for looking!
    Attachment 1192490Attachment 1192491Attachment 1192492Attachment 1192493Attachment 1192494Attachment 1192495Attachment 1192496Attachment 1192497Attachment 1192498Attachment 1192499
    Edit - I forgot to add that it is an Alcoso made Lion Head Cavalry Officer sword.
    Good stuff from a good man!
    "It's not whether you get knocked down...It's whether you get up"

My Collection: www.tothehiltmilitaria.com

Does anyone have a close up of an Alcoso Lion Head from the Weimar period? I would like to get an idea for the look of the stones, were they faceted or not etc., and also how they were retained. Are they even real gems or just red glass?
    I just want it to look as it should, I am not going to flip out over the use of "non-original" parts on it.
    If no one else posts, I will post some of mine when I get home from work today.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

If no one else posts, I will post some of mine when I get home from work today.
    Ralph.
    Here you go. This sword is a WKC example.
    These can also be found with green eyes.
    Ralph.

Put this sword on hold.
    Put this sword on hold.
    Put this sword on hold.
    Put this sword on hold.

Here you go. This sword is a WKC example.
    These can also be found with green eyes.
    Ralph.

Put this sword on hold.
    Put this sword on hold.
    Put this sword on hold.
    Put this sword on hold.
    Would they be made of glass?

Would they be made of glass?
    I believe they are colored, faceted glass.
    Actually, I have a bunch similar, I will look tomorrow to see if I have any the right size.
    Ralph.

I believe they are colored, faceted glass.
    Actually, I have a bunch similar, I will look tomorrow to see if I have any the right size.
    Ralph.
    Good. Probably a damned sight cheaper than an actual ruby, even the industrial grade ones. Any idea what holds them in? The jeweler wasn't sure.

Edit - Didn't see the second part. Thanks! A real set would be cool to get put in!

Good. Probably a damned sight cheaper than an actual ruby, even the industrial grade ones. Any idea what holds them in? The jeweler wasn't sure.

Edit - Didn't see the second part. Thanks! A real set would be cool to get put in!
    I'll take some close ups tomorrow so you can see what holds them.
    Ralph.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast