Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sword belonging to Bergen Belson Commander

Article about: This sword was taken from a glass display cabinet in the commanding officers building in belson by a sergeant in marine commandos , it originally came with the belt and cross strap which has

Default Sword belonging to Bergen Belson Commander

This sword was taken from a glass display cabinet in the commanding officers building in belson by a sergeant in marine commandos , it originally came with the belt and cross strap which has been mislaid by the nephew of the vet he also had the ss dagger which he gave to another relative , it came directly from the vet to he's my mate after the war and has been in he's possession since . I would love to have your opinions . Thanks in advance
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Sword belonging to Bergen Belson Commander   Sword belonging to Bergen Belson Commander  

Sword belonging to Bergen Belson Commander   Sword belonging to Bergen Belson Commander  

Sword belonging to Bergen Belson Commander  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Sword belonging to Bergen Belson Commander
    P
    Many

?

Nice sword pre war can we see the japanese sword also .

The japanese sword is in another listing .thanks

I took the liberty of changing the Thread title as I had posted above until some determination can be made of authenticity and also provenance.

First question I want to ask concerning Josef Kramer who was the commander of that camp as he was a captain up until 1942 until his capture..I would be inclined to suspect...was he awarded an SS sword ( someone please check a Dienstalterliste ) or did he have this most common Heer sword.

A Sword of this nature I also would of expected to be in better condition knowing that it came from a heinous individual as it appears to have been kept in a very bad location.

This should make for a good thread and the Forums swordsmen will be along shortly to comment further.

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Also Please post photos of any sword markings or producer logo found on the blade tang.
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Some more photos including some closeups would I believe help a lot in making a better determination. From what I've seen so far with a black plastic grip it's very likely TR era and I'm trying to decide if it's plated or not. Best Regards, Fred

No swastika or TR eagle on the guard, so, for me, a pre-war sword.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

?

Having extensively researched British Troops who were at Belsen i can tell you there were no Royal Marine or Army Commandoes at the camp .
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

What I do know first hand is he was sergeant in marine commandos also a MP and was charged with collecting documents and, he and a few others was in as I was told a building on a hill at belson and whilst there they liberated the display cabinet for souvenirs, can not confirm who sword belonged to as there was more than one plus ss daggers and at least one luger, my mate was given the sword along with the belt and cross strap,I have been trying 40 plus years to get them as he only keeps them as he told he's uncle he would not part with them he has another couple of japanese swords now very rusty but , it makes me cry to see them just sitting in a cupboard rusting away.
    Last edited by ireichit; 04-03-2021 at 08:54 PM. Reason: Spelling

Just as a matter of general information, WKC in it's TR period catalogs had Army type sabers w/o the Eagle/Swastika, and Eickhorn in 1938 had multiple Officer's sabers with Imperial style motifs instead of the Eagle/Swastika. Not something that I've looked at really closely, a number of what I'm going to call "Officials" of various organizations also had/wore sabers. Best Regards, Fred

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast