Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Wehrmacht Heer Einheitssäbel für Berittene

Article about: Good afternoon everybody. Thanks to lock down, this is my first purchase of 2021, and my first sword. A few years ago, I decided to start collecting cavalry/equestrian items, but as we all k

Default Wehrmacht Heer Einheitssäbel für Berittene

Good afternoon everybody. Thanks to lock down, this is my first purchase of 2021, and my first sword. A few years ago, I decided to start collecting cavalry/equestrian items, but as we all know, they are either rare or expensive or both. So when this sabre for mounted personnel became available for the price of 2 or 3 generic TR medals that I would have normally purchased by now this year, I decided to diversify my collection.

I Know that the wire wrap is missing, but that doesn't bother me. The blade is made by Anton Wingen Jr Solingen. After doing a little bit of research on Michael Ryan's sticky note, page 12, sword 107 shows a similar design and is described as being common with an uncommon trade mark. Quite how the words common and uncommon fit in the same sentance, I don't know.

Anyway, as usual all comments are welcome and apologies for the poor quality pictures as these things are so hard to photograph.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Wehrmacht Heer Einheitssäbel für Berittene   Wehrmacht Heer Einheitssäbel für Berittene  

Wehrmacht Heer Einheitssäbel für Berittene   Wehrmacht Heer Einheitssäbel für Berittene  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Wehrmacht Heer Einheitssäbel für Berittene
    P
    Many

Very nice, very tidy sabre, but not necessarily only for mounted troops. In the catalogues of the time this type is simply advertised as a non decorative (glatter) officer's sabre. So that would include senior NCO's.

Congratulations of your first sword! It is beautiful looking sword. It is shame that wire wrap is missing, but rest of the sword is at good condition.
    -TJ-

Thank you for the replies gentlemen. Doesn't the term "Einheit" mean unit or unitary, so the sword wouldn't necessarily be for officers and NCO's, rather, for the lower ranks as well?

Quote by thecyclist64 View Post
    Thank you for the replies gentlemen. Doesn't the term "Einheit" mean unit or unitary, so the sword wouldn't necessarily be for officers and NCO's, rather, for the lower ranks as well?
    Judging from the photos and period catalogs it's I believe more likely that the thread starter saber is a Mannschaftsäbel for EM and junior grade NCO's who were mounted versus foot infantry. The Einheitssäbel originating in the late Weimar era for senior grade German Army NCO's of all the service branches. Who before that had instead been using ex-Imperial era officer's model swords for the senior grades of non-commissioned officers. As a sort of "universal" (government) model officer's saber which is how I would translate it. Best Regards, Fred