Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Is this a WW2 German Sword?

Article about: Well, this Is the item in my collection that scared my the most when it comes to Reproduction or original. i bought this last year when I was 15 and my collection was just beginning. here ar

Default Is this a WW2 German Sword?

Well, this Is the item in my collection that scared my the most when it comes to Reproduction or original. i bought this last year when I was 15 and my collection was just beginning. here are a few pictures of what i believe to be a WW2 German NCO sword. However Im hoping that you Experts out there might be able to identify and tell me whether this is original or not, Thank you!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Is this a WW2 German Sword?   Is this a WW2 German Sword?  

Is this a WW2 German Sword?   Is this a WW2 German Sword?  

Is this a WW2 German Sword?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Is this a WW2 German Sword?
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: Is this a WW2 German Sword?

I'm not an expert, but I think it's German, but from WW1. Perhaps they also used it in WW2 though. It's a gorgeous sword though, I'd love to have one like it.

100% original.

Its army enlisredmans saber. Typically, an nco would utuilize the same pattern saber as did their officer counterparts. That said I believe this pattern would also be utilized by nco's as well. Id have to consult uniform regulations to be sure however.

Period? Third reich most likely. Certainly celluloid was utilized during the weimar era, though I would.date this one to thens era. I'd also ave to look through reference regarding the rh trade mark to be sure the specific stamp was not imited to a specific era.

Anyway, decent example of an enlistedmans dress saber.

Tom

?

is the celluloid grip one of the easiest ways to tell a WW1 sword from a WW2 sword?

?

Before the celluloid grip they used sharkskin, and i think the factories in Solingen stopped using that in the early 20s

As Luke mentioned, sharkskin covered wooden grips were prevalent through the end of the imperial era. Celluloid grips came into their own during the weimar era. They became the dominant grip type beginning in the 20's and were in use through the ns period.

I dont want to oversimlify the issue of era identification, conversely I don't ant to write a thesis on the subject either. Other factors (aside the obvious such as the presence of the swaz) include identification based on the particular maker mark as these often evolved as time progressed. Types of plating, gilting, and the general construction meathods are also indicators used for dating purposes. As production technology evolved, so did the manufacturing of edged weapons.

There are a multitude of criteria we use to ascertain a partiular collectibles date of manufacture. It can become confusing and the best way to learn the science is through study of reference material and most of all thorough experience.

Tom

Thank you Guys, Before I do more research on this sword, I just want to make sure its authentic and worth doing the research. So it is original to WW1 or WW2 not a reproduction right?

Right. Post-WW1. Either late Weimar or TR eras. Reiterating, most likely a NS era saber.