MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

The collectors toolbox

Article about: Often the devices we have or don't have in our collecting toolbox are overlooked, listed here is some of the gear needed to successfully perform some of the tasks when researching, making as

?

Default The collectors toolbox

Often the devices we have or don't have in our collecting toolbox are overlooked, listed here is some of the gear needed to successfully perform some of the tasks when researching, making assessments and sharing your relics.

A Magnifying glass can be helpful when tying to view a maker mark or view small writing
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The collectors toolbox  
    I'd rather be A "RaD Man than a Mad Man "

?

A digital scanner is a must when posting photographs or other documents that need exact attention to detail and to be legible, preferably one that can scan from 200-1200 DPI or more
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The collectors toolbox  

?

A digital camera can be used to take quality photos and can be cropped for future posts, better than cell phones IMO

- - ------- - -

A light box is Ideal for relic photography and can be used with your digital camera to produce professional quality photos
    Attached Images Attached Images The collectors toolbox  The collectors toolbox 

?

Books, period books and literature as well as current publications are a great source of information, be careful though, some authors of modern material have been proved to be wrong, just ask on the Forum for verification on certain matters

- - ------- - -

What's in your toolbox ?

Good Topic, Gwar...I keep a Magnifying Glass, a Small Magnet and a UV Light handy...
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The collectors toolbox   The collectors toolbox  

?

Great items for the toolbox Glenn !

The OKW War Diaries & Daily Wehrmacht Reports have also served me very well over the years...damn near worn out, lol...
    I also save Propaganda-Imagery for backdrops...
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The collectors toolbox   The collectors toolbox  

?

Scale, calipers, magnifying lenses, blacklight, reference books and my powerful internet search skills

The collectors toolbox

The collectors toolbox

The collectors toolbox

The collectors toolbox

The collectors toolbox
    Last edited by Aldo; 04-02-2023 at 11:08 PM.
    Regards, Al

?

Very good topic. All the above including some helpful forum members to ask their thoughts as well. I also use my nose. Nothing like the smell of an authentic tunic or cap.

Tim

USB Microscope. I bought this one from Amazon for around $100:

The collectors toolbox

200x Zoom, 1600 x 1200. Came with a stand, and the microscope is removable. There are many similar ones available, and I highly recommend having one in the arsenal.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast