Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Photo Test

Article about: So, Santa left me some new photography lights. It was kind of a shot in the dark as they were bought via Amazon without trying them out first. Overall they seem to be nice but still playing

MAP
    ?

John: Just tried only with helmets so far. When I have more time I will try it with other items

Nick: I have a large 3x3x3 foot light box with top mounted LED lighting. The top mounted LED's work well with awards but not with helmets, hence my need for more and better lighting. My camera is a Sony @6300 and for close up I have a 50mm Macro lens. My Pixel phone photos are visually as good if not better than the Sony except for the macro photos or if you need to crop and enlarge (given the much better resolution from the Sony). These new lights are fully adjustable as they are on stands. I am placing them to the front left and right of the camera to lighten the item as well as remove shadows. My only issue is I just wish they were a little bigger to throw off more volume of light (they are each only 8 inches wide)
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

The photos look great Michael, the light really makes a difference.

Bugger Michael, me not being a photographer and know jack! but I'd be a little disappointed with the set unless your front lights aren't close enough?

TWS
    ?

Nice new toys Michael.

I should get some and a light box too. I don't take outdoor photos because I don't want nosy neighbors getting freaked out and plus my back deck is usually covered in a mess of leaves year round.
    Todd
    Former U.S. Army Tanker.
    "Best job I ever had."

MAP
    ?

Quote by reneblacky View Post
    Bugger Michael, me not being a photographer and know jack! but I'd be a little disappointed with the set unless your front lights aren't close enough?
    Yes, they are a bit smaller in size than I anticipated (not as bright) thus they are not the perfect solution but they still are much better than what I had earlier producing a "decently" illuminated photo, but more importantly finally getting the correct color of the helmet. The 5.6k photo is actually spot on for the correct "color" of both helmets when in hand. The post photo editing actually made them too "light".

Plus still fiddling with them. They were maybe a bit too far away but with a light box there is little extra room to position them while still be able to actually get to the camera.

Quote by TWS View Post
    Nice new toys Michael.

I should get some and a light box too. I don't take outdoor photos because I don't want nosy neighbors getting freaked out and plus my back deck is usually covered in a mess of leaves year round.
    As far as I'm concerned, out door photos are really the ONLY way to properly take photos of helmets. Luckily my neighbors either can't see me taking the photos, or for the one that can, actually likes the stuff! But I still want to perfect my indoor photos as for 3 to 4 months of the year it is way too cold to take the time to "set up" the outdoor photos. To get it just right, it actually takes quite a bit of time before you even start taking the pictures!

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

I have witnessed a few professional & amateur photographers shooting helmets & they all photoshopped their images afterwards for brightness & clarity. It's to be expected. This includes color & tint adjustments to a degree of really personal taste & what you are trying to achieve. Any glare from the light source which is undesirable can be edited to your liking after practicing for a while. Just going to have to experiment until you are comfortable with them
    D.

Had a pro shoot in my dining room once shooting my crap for their church book cover thing!?! never found out what it was but I did get some good shots done. Here's my rubbish ss thing before any digital enhancements

MAP
    ?

Quote by real steel View Post
    I have witnessed a few professional & amateur photographers shooting helmets & they all photoshopped their images afterwards for brightness & clarity. It's to be expected. This includes color & tint adjustments to a degree of really personal taste & what you are trying to achieve. Any glare from the light source which is undesirable can be edited to your liking after practicing for a while. Just going to have to experiment until you are comfortable with them
    D.
    Yes. That is why I'm trying to get as close as possible prior to any photo editing. I have basic editing software and just so so skills. So after 2 min of "tinkering" here are the results.

Not bad if I say so.

First photo of each helmet is the raw photo and second is slightly modified (sharpen, saturation and some lightening)

Photo TestPhoto Test

Photo TestPhoto Test

And here are the original dealer photos. Overly bright and not representative of the actual helmets in hand. My photos while not as much of the "wow" factor are actually the most accurate. (I will say however that the background has a lot to do with how the color looks so the dealer photo of the Police helmet is not a great comparison)

Photo TestPhoto Test

MAP
    ?

Quote by reneblacky View Post
    Had a pro shoot in my dining room once shooting my crap for their church book cover thing!?! never found out what it was but I did get some good shots done. Here's my rubbish ss thing before any digital enhancements
    Those flash, diffuser and strobes probably cost more than both my helmets combined! LoL

Quote by MAP View Post
    Those flash, diffuser and strobes probably cost more than both my helmets combined! LoL
    There you go I know jack squat

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast