Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

What camera do you use?

Article about: Hi Guys, I know this question has been asked before but what camera do people use for close up photography of their collections? I'm looking for a new camera (I currently use a Canon PowerSh

Default What camera do you use?

Hi Guys,
    I know this question has been asked before but what camera do people use for close up photography of their collections? I'm looking for a new camera (I currently use a Canon PowerShot SX20) but I am by no means an accomplished photographer so the less technical in regards to setup the better. I am willing to pay that bit extra for a good example but I get the feeling that the more expensive the model the more difficult to use it will be.

Also I'm interested in buying a digital microscope and have bought one of the ebay cheapies in the past which turned out the software didn't work with Windows 10 so took good pictures but I wasn't able to save them. Does anyone have any reccomendations?

As always I appreciate any response and I hope everyone is keeping well.

Thanks in advance

Andre

I've used soooo many cameras....the best feature without doubt is the "macro" button/switch...which, I learned, should've been called the "take close-ups button"...my current is an ancient digi camera....with about 1/10 of a mega-pixel by todays standard ;-)....but the pictures in the book were mostly taken by it OK.

I use a "Microview USB Digital Microscope" which came via Ebay from China all for about Thrupence.......and it works OK with my Windows..the hardest bit is figuring out how to save the images though...I just click (and double-click) most things until I find I've saved something...it does have a tendency to present the same image (the first) every time so I adopt the scientifically proven fix....altogether now...."turn it off, and turn it back on again"...I honestly have no idea how it works BUT the images, once saved, are amazing....and it was cheap as

I think most phones have better lenses than the camera I use...and I believe a lot comes down to HOW you take a picture rather than what you use......

Good luck

Hi Andre,

I currently use a Sony Cybershot with a X30 optical zoom. It can be used auto or manual settings, and is capable of taking superb close-ups. If you do invest in a reasonably good camera I would suggest that you also get yourself a good tripod and remote shutter release so that you can take pictures in good natural light with a slow shutter speed. The results will be more than worth the added expense!

An example of the detail you can capture with such a set up. Click on to enlarge.

What camera do you use?

Cheers,
    Steve

Hi Andre, I also have been using a number of camera's and smart phones to take pictures of medals and badges. The current camera I am using is a Canon Power Shot Elph 135. It is a 16MP camera. I feel the pictures are excellent, especially the close up ones on small details. The camera was about $100 (cheap). I have not been getting complaints about my picturers lately. I feel smart phones are the rage for taking pics currently, they have high MP values but have some issues. The main issue I have found is that they can turn the pictures sideways when you post pics.

I guess the best advice is trial and error and eventually you will find one that you are happy with. You don't have to spend a ton of money on a camera for great pics.

John

I use a nikon d3300, the hardest thing I find is getting the lighting correct, here on a gaunt made WWII parachute regiment beret badge

I used to use a fujifilm fine pix which took beautiful close up pics, but it broke, here used on gaunt made WWII silver and gilt officers badge for the pembroke yeomanry
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture What camera do you use?   What camera do you use?  

Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

I was using a Canon G10 and was a great easy to use thing till it died now it's a Canon G7X great thing it has, is auto macro! and you can do crap like this

I'm lazy and use my Samsung Galaxy S10 cell phone ..................
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Quote by Danmark View Post
    I'm lazy and use my Samsung Galaxy S10 cell phone ..................
    Shame on you!

I use a cheap and cheerful Canon Powershot A2500 with auto focus/close up 16Mpixel

CSW
    ?

Not sure if I'm allowed to answer the question since I'm personally quite seriously into photography, but: Nikon D610 with various lenses. An excellent machine for battlefield-exploring semiprofessional photographers. I would, however, not recommend it in this case You might want to take a look at something a little cheaper.

What camera do you use? What camera do you use? What camera do you use?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast