Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

WW2 German Aircraft Instrument, needs to be ID'd!

Article about: Hi guys and gals! I am trying to find someone out there to help identify an aircraft compass for me. It belonged to a neighbor of mine, now deceased. He was a retired WW2/Korea USMC fighter

Exclamation WW2 German Aircraft Instrument, needs to be ID'd!

Hi guys and gals!
    I am trying to find someone out there to help identify an aircraft compass for me. It belonged to a neighbor of mine, now deceased. He was a retired WW2/Korea USMC fighter pilot that had some odds and ends in his house... The compass appears to be from and aircraft, I think that the back of it is made from Bakelite, hence the WW2 time period reference, and some of the writing appears to have a German reference (Fw, (Focke Wolf?), etc.) I have good pics of it; can anyone help out?
    Thanks in advance! , Grant

Email me at gcoop75@gmail.com if you can help!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW2 German Aircraft Instrument, needs to be ID'd!   WW2 German Aircraft Instrument, needs to be ID'd!  

WW2 German Aircraft Instrument, needs to be ID'd!  

Default Re: WW2 German Aircraft Instrument, needs to be ID'd!

Hi Grant and welcome!

The instrument is a WW2 German aircraft FK38 oil compass. It was fitted to these types of aircraft: Ar79, He72, Ju52, Klemm KL35, Bf108D, Ar234B-1, Bu181, DFS 230 and Fi156. It is worth in the condition shown around 100-150 Euro's.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Wow! Thanks Ned! That was quicker than I had anticipated!
    Regards, Grant

Hello! I am collecting parts like that , and was very happy to see one more has survived . I can recommend a german website were you can search almost all instruments. After the FL nr.

Deutsche Luftwaffe Cockpitinstrumente Homepage Titelseite Instrumente Gerätebrett Baumuster

Best U

Thanks for the website information! I looked at it and there is some great information and pictures on there!
    Regards, Grant

?

Unhappy Re: WW2 German Aircraft Instrument, needs to be ID'd!

has anyone seen something similar? ... is found in the ground near Bucharest ... possible from a German plane?

is not found in an abandoned airport, is found between two functional airports, a few miles between airports, those airports was often Luftwaffe bases, around is filled with cartridges, ID tag and other pieces of aluminum ... full of USA cartridge/ tube .... from B24 Liberator ....

POSSIBLE a bomb head protector during transport? ... a lavatory cistern valve from a JU2??

WW2 German Aircraft Instrument, needs to be ID'd!WW2 German Aircraft Instrument, needs to be ID'd!

This is the protection cap for the cable roll from FLAK 88 , the cable roll has got the cable for the scheinwerfer. You can search the web for more details.

Best Undu

?

thank you very much

i have found the same thing togheter with a cable roll , i found 3 of them and there are still some in the ground but i dont find annything on the internet about it

undu562 i have found the same thing togheter with a cable roll , i found 3 of them and there are still some in the ground but i dont find annything on the internet about it grtz joris