Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Edelweiss ring

Article about: Hello, I managed to find the ring of Edelweiss, 1st Mountain Jaeger division. Unfortunately, so far there are only such photos. There is a brand, an Edelweiss flower, but it was not complete

Question Edelweiss ring

Hello, I managed to find the ring of Edelweiss, 1st Mountain Jaeger division. Unfortunately, so far there are only such photos.

There is a brand, an Edelweiss flower, but it was not completely printed on the ring. There is a silver sample stamp. Please, help me determine its originality.

Sorry for my bad english)
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Edelweiss ring   Edelweiss ring  

Edelweiss ring   Edelweiss ring  

Edelweiss ring  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Edelweiss ring
    P
    Many

IMO orignal, but for 100% sure need quality shots

Thanks for posting this lovely ring, a pattern that is rarely seen nowadays. I always wanted one but the only one I ever owned was a copy. As noted by Evgeniy, it would be good if we could see better quality photos.

The early (1920s-30s) Edelweiss rings have a Frey* silver mark and 835 content. I haven’t seen an 800 on an Edelweiss ring before. Is that a later mark? Or perhaps a different maker who used an edelweiss mark like here? I have seen different designs of the edelweiss motif on these rings so maybe there were different makers. Open to being educated here...

On the Frey rings, there is usually a raised ‘X’ on the back of the cartouche. The ring here has an uneven, very crude cross, but it looks 'scratched' in, not raised. This is not the quality you’d expect from any professional silversmith. Again, maybe it’s a later ring. Also, I wonder what the black marks on the top-left behind the cartouche are. They don‘t look right to me. Corrosion?

Apparently, these rings were semi-official awards for members (or maybe ex-members) of the 1st Gebirgs-Jäger division. Some came with an award document. I have also read that Edelweiss rings were produced after the war for Gebirgs division reunions. Some ring experts say that the only genuine war period GJ rings have a ‘1’ on the lower petal of the edelweiss. However, there were other patterns too, maybe for other groups of Gebirgs-Jägers. It looks like there might be a ‘1’ on the ring here but, again, better photos would help.

I really hope that the ring can claim originality.

I have already asked the seller to take a better photo, but they turned out to be of the same quality, so this weekend I will go to the store and take a photo myself. I will try to take detailed pictures of the places you have indicated.

I think the pictures will be ready on Saturday, as soon as everything is done, I will continue the topic.

Thank you for taking the time)

Thank you for your time, I will come to the seller in the store on Saturday and take high-quality photos)

Due to numerous problems, I was only able to get the photo now. I was never able to meet the seller in person, but I hope these pictures will be enough.

As far as I can tell, there is only one crack behind the ring, the second mark is a scratch.
    The stamp on the ring was indeed imprinted incompletely. Small chips on the front part look like impact marks.

I will be very grateful for your help.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Edelweiss ring   Edelweiss ring  

?

Personally I don't like it, the soldering is horrible and the wear doesn't look authentic. Also the lack of details on the flower isa big red flag. I'd say it's an ebay ring that got enhanced with homemade stamps.

Quote by Mahler View Post
    Personally I don't like it, the soldering is horrible and the wear doesn't look authentic. Also the lack of details on the flower isa big red flag. I'd say it's an ebay ring that got enhanced with homemade stamps.
    Funnily enough, when first posted, I thought it might be one of those eBay rings that sell for £25-50. I‘m not so concerned about the soldered joint. That could have been done later if the ring had broken. It is a nice ring. Is it real? Hard to say. The stamp looks good but authentic Edelweiss rings are very hard to find nowadays.

Thank you all very much for your help, I will reflect on how to proceed.

Quote by DanielAntic View Post
    Thank you all very much for your help, I will reflect on how to proceed.
    I think it's a nice ring, even if it might not be an authentic WW2 piece. For what it's worth, my hunch is that it is genuine. I would be interested to learn what Evgeniy thinks since you posted more photos.

If it was me, and I liked it as much as you seem to, and if the price is reasonable, I would go for it. Everyone in the Third Reich ring collecting fraternity has a few questionable rings in their collection. Some of us also have some downright clunkers! You live and learn in this game...