MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Gorilla style ring real or fake?

Article about: Hi, Im a beginner collector and just bought this from what I understand is a gorilla head skull ring. I got it pretty cheap so I was just wondering if you guys could tell me more about it an

Quote by odal View Post
    Could it be this golden shining is the polished brass and no more plating there?
    Most of this pattern are a brass alloy, silver plated and red paint in eyes when new.
    That makes sense. The surface looks like polished brass. Good point, thanks.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Gorilla style ring real or fake?
    P
    Many

As for the OP's ring, I am thinking that it looks to be a silver plated base metal canteen ring that has spent 7 decades corroding and pitting in the ground. You can make out patches of the silver plate in various spots but for the most part, the base metal beneath it has suffered from the burial in the soil. It should, however, likely clean up and look much better. Seeing as how it is not an expensive or rare ring, some people might even think about having it stripped and replated to restore it.

That's a Superb looking West Wall, btw,Spit! Nice!
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

Thanks for the comment! I will do my best to clean it and hopefully it will turn out good!

I'd like to see better photos of the OP ring. Looks to me like casting bubbles especially in the left eye socket (the right side of the photo).

I was also looking at those nodules in the eye socket. I would think that they are bubbled up remnants of the plating. That's one of thee problems with excavated rings-until they're thoroughly cleaned, it's difficult to tell where the corrosion and bubbling end and the ring itself begins.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

The best method for cleaning jewelry-citric acid.Boil in a pot made of glass or stainless steel this ring.Do not make mechanical cleaning and use aggressive chemicals.Good luck!

?

A little cleaning could of course help to see this ring better.
    I use sometimes acid free gun oil and a soft tooth brush. Only to remove the dirt.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2