Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

New Kantinenring #2

Article about: And here we are with the second one. I really like this ring as it displays more of the old style totenkopf commonly seen painted on helmets, vehicles and other property of the Freikorps - t

Default New Kantinenring #2

And here we are with the second one. I really like this ring as it displays more of the old style totenkopf commonly seen painted on helmets, vehicles and other property of the Freikorps - though I believe this to be a TR era ring.

This particular ring matches others of the style I've seen, in that it appears to be made out of probably brass that's been plated with either nickel or silver. It's of a two-piece design with the skull affixed to the ring - a trait that I've seen shared among other rings that match this one. This one is quite well worn with much of the plating rubbed of on the high points.

Again, I'm a novice ring collector at best, so I'd love to hear your comments and opinions. Thanks for having a look!

-DF

New Kantinenring #2
    New Kantinenring #2
    New Kantinenring #2
    New Kantinenring #2
    New Kantinenring #2
    New Kantinenring #2

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement New Kantinenring #2
    P
    Many

Doing some more digging into this one, I was wondering by the shape of the eye sockets if this would have had glass "gems" set into the ring (as I've seen on some other canteen ring examples). Probably?

New Kantinenring #2

Known pattern of Totenkopfring . It should be a two-piece construction, with the skull attached to the shank with a rivet or, sometimes, soldered. On some of these, the rivet can be seen clearly behind the cartouche. On others, like yours, the rivet hole is filled and blends with the rest of the surface. This one is unusual in having most of the silver-coloured wash still intact.

Here's another, similar ring. Most of the wash has gone but the rivet is visible.

Cheers,
    Stephen

New Kantinenring #2 New Kantinenring #2

Excellent, thanks for your assessment! It's two piece construction indeed, but this one may be soldered, or the rivet hole just polished over and plated - hard to tell. This one has retained most of its silver (or nickel?) wash, except for the high spots and the band, though you can see where the plating is bubbling and lifting here and there. Glad to have found this one!

Once again, many thanks!!

The shiny coating might be chrome. It won‘t be silver.

Quote by SpitfireVb View Post
    The shiny coating might be chrome. It won‘t be silver.
    I think that's probably correct. I saw a near identical ring (I think it was on WRF?) where the owner mentioned it was possibly a nickel plating. But seeing the way it's lifting away from the base metal in places, that's definitely how chrome acts with age. Good eye, and thanks again for yet more good info!