Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Totenkopf

Article about: Hi guys I’d like you to cast your eyes over my ring, all comments much appreciated.

Default Totenkopf

Hi guys I’d like you to cast your eyes over my ring, all comments much appreciated. Attachment 1442568Attachment 1442568Attachment 1442569Attachment 1442570

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Totenkopf
    P
    Many

We need more detailed photos but the gold colour is unusual. Never saw that before on what looks like some kind of Kantine ring.
    What is it made of? Kantine skull rings were made of either alpaca, a cheap greyish alloy, or silver. In the latter case, they’d have a silver mark and look, well, silver albeit some are also found quite badly tarnished. But I don‘t like the gold colour. From the photos posted, to me, it looks like a cheap cast ring, possibly based on a period pattern. If it’s cast, it’s fake.
    Cheers!

It’s made of brass, I can’t see any signs of casting and the detailing looks too defined. Note the join on the band too. Presumably a stamped out piece, consisting a latter wartime totenkopf, used by the waffles SS, with cross bones to one side, sythe and bone to the other, oak leaves to both sides. I’ve never seen another like this, which in itself makes a rare interesting item. No makers marks or stamps that I can see, but is is covered in tiny writing and numbers, I’m hoping it’s gonna give up its secrets the more it tarnishes. Ill try and take some better pics.

Any possibility of using a macro setting on some of that writing and numbers?...sounds interesting.
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

It certainly is a nice-looking ring. My nervousness is mainly around the fact that I hadn’t seen this pattern with the scythe (thought I‘d seen all the known Kantine ring types), and it’s made of brass (which I tend to associate with trench art). I was unaware that the scythe was associated with the Waffen SS.

Perhaps it is a trench art ring. Wouldn’t that be cool? It might also explain the rarity.

Cheers,
    Stephen
    Last edited by SpitfireVb; 11-29-2021 at 10:16 PM.

I’m not sure what the sythe thing is all about. Maybe something to do with the vows to hitler. Until death and all that. I’m still trying to suss it all out myself, hence me coming on here to chew it over with like minded people. I don’t thing it’s trench art, it looks properly made, I’ve got some trench. art.

Dos
    ?

Nice ring! I've been looking at kantine ring's for a while now and this does not look to be one of them.. Maybe something made on request? It appears it has some age to it, but when it was made and what the meaning of this ring was for will always be a geuss i'm afraid. You mention that it is covered with tiny writing and numbers. I can't see this on the pics. There seems to be a marking on the inside.

Goodluck, -Dos

Quote by The duke View Post
    I’m not sure what the sythe thing is all about. Maybe something to do with the vows to hitler. Until death and all that. I’m still trying to suss it all out myself, hence me coming on here to chew it over with like minded people. I don’t thing it’s trench art, it looks properly made, I’ve got some trench. art.
    As far as I can tell, there is nothing resembling a scythe on any of the known Waffen SS divisional, regimental or unit insignia. I have never seen a scythe associated with this organisiation. Indeed, I associate a scythe (or sickle) with the Soviet Union, their flag for example.

A cursory search of Google for phrases containing “Waffen SS” and “Scythe” revealed nothing. It is interesting though.

I do take your point about the quality of most trench art being primitive, but I have also seen some well-made, fine trench art.
    Last edited by SpitfireVb; 09-16-2020 at 08:57 PM.

?

it looks to have been cut to size and re soldiered?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast