Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

1970s Soviet Army Tunic

Article about: Hello folks. This one's a bit out of the realm of my usually collecting interest, but as Cold War militaria is an increasingly popular area these days, I thought it would be a good idea to d

Default 1970s Soviet Army Tunic

Hello folks.

This one's a bit out of the realm of my usually collecting interest, but as Cold War militaria is an increasingly popular area these days, I thought it would be a good idea to dip my toes in before things get too expensive!

I really don't know all that much about these. As I understand it, this is a 'demob' tunic for a Sergeant in communications and radio engineering. There is a Komsomol badge on the right breast, and various other badges on the left. I'm unsure of the identity of the largest one, but I do know the '3' numbered one is a proficiency badge. It is pin-backed, rather than the much rarer screwback variation. The three smaller badges are awards related to running and mountain climbing. The tunic's original owner covered them all in celluloid plastic, and this has discoloured over the years.

I'm unable to read any of the internal markings or handwriting, save to be able to tell the date of manufacture of the tunic, which I believe is either 1974 or 1975. The buttons are all marked '66', indicating they were made nearly a decade earlier. The whole setup appears to be unaltered, with no insignia added or removed since it was mothballed in the 1990s.

I don't think I've done too badly for my first Soviet uniform!

1970s Soviet Army Tunic1970s Soviet Army Tunic1970s Soviet Army Tunic1970s Soviet Army Tunic1970s Soviet Army Tunic1970s Soviet Army Tunic1970s Soviet Army Tunic1970s Soviet Army Tunic

Regards, B.B.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement 1970s Soviet Army Tunic
    P
    Many

I love the fact that the badges have been left in place. Too many uniforms 'of all nations & eras' have had their badges and ribbons removed prior to being sold. I don't have to tell you how frustrating it is getting a nice uniform and noticing the faint silhouettes of where insignia used to be.

A fantastic piece of cold war history my friend!

Your information is quite spot on my friend. These types of tunics were manufactured from 1969 to 1991 and your tunic is quite interesting. Demobilization uniforms are unique in their own right and yours is no exception, I simply love what this person did to spiffy up their uniform! Interestingly the manufactures label is dated 1974, but the other date stamp which reads "11-75" means it was manufactured in November of 1975 if I am not mistaken, I honestly am not sure why there are two differing date stamps.

Our friend Luftwaffe 1941 has a good point, these uniforms are still very common in the market today, and the badges and medals typically are not super rare probably leaning to the fact that they haven't been stripped off by a seller.

I have many of these types of uniforms if you would like to see more examples of them, just let me know. thanks for sharing this nice piece!

Quote by Luftwaffe 1941 View Post
    I love the fact that the badges have been left in place. Too many uniforms 'of all nations & eras' have had their badges and ribbons removed prior to being sold. I don't have to tell you how frustrating it is getting a nice uniform and noticing the faint silhouettes of where insignia used to be.

A fantastic piece of cold war history my friend!
    Thanks, Jarret. This was being sold as part of a bulk lot by a seller on eBay, all listed at the same price, and many of which had missing badges. It was the celluloid on the badges that drew me to this one. Some may think it looks ugly, but I see it as proof that the badges have been with this uniform since it was issued in the 70s.

Quote by Spenwil73 View Post
    Your information is quite spot on my friend. These types of tunics were manufactured from 1969 to 1991 and your tunic is quite interesting. Demobilization uniforms are unique in their own right and yours is no exception, I simply love what this person did to spiffy up their uniform! Interestingly the manufactures label is dated 1974, but the other date stamp which reads "11-75" means it was manufactured in November of 1975 if I am not mistaken, I honestly am not sure why there are two differing date stamps.

Our friend Luftwaffe 1941 has a good point, these uniforms are still very common in the market today, and the badges and medals typically are not super rare probably leaning to the fact that they haven't been stripped off by a seller.

I have many of these types of uniforms if you would like to see more examples of them, just let me know. thanks for sharing this nice piece!
    I'm glad my research paid off! I was thinking the 1974 date might be from the tunic's manufacture, and the November of 1975 stamp the date it was issued. I appreciate the additional information, and I'd be happy to see some more examples of this uniform type. As you've rightly said, every one is unique. Looking at each one, you can almost guess at the personality of its former owner.

Regards, B.B.

?

Ten a penny today - tomorrow, like rocking horse s**t!

Get a good cap in now to go with it.

From the handwriting, i'd say it once belonged to a certain Vitaliy I. Kadryavtsev.

Very nice tunic! And smart to buy these now while they're still cheap. Pretty sure these will fetch premium prices in a couple of years.

Quote by Boycie View Post
    Ten a penny today - tomorrow, like rocking horse s**t!

Get a good cap in now to go with it.

From the handwriting, i'd say it once belonged to a certain Vitaliy I. Kadryavtsev.
    Thanks, Boycie. I was having trouble with the handwriting. It's nice to know the owner's name! I'm already seeking out a good sergeant's cap, preferably one dated to the mid-1970s to give as close a match to the tunic as possible.

Quote by Marcel Banziger View Post
    Very nice tunic! And smart to buy these now while they're still cheap. Pretty sure these will fetch premium prices in a couple of years.
    I may very well pick up another. The seller I bought them from has quite a few, but most are missing some or all of their badges. I think I got one of the better ones with this one!

B.B.

Default 3 tunics I picked out of my closet

Here are some of my favorite and clean examples, I present you three tunics that of the Motorized rifles, Artillery and Border Guard
    1970s Soviet Army Tunic
    1970s Soviet Army Tunic
    1970s Soviet Army Tunic
    Here is a motorized rifle private/conscript from 1985, the badges have been clearly removed and interestingly there are belt hooks for supporting a waist belt

1970s Soviet Army Tunic

Here is a quite plain 1989 Artilleryman's tunic, no badges or pins. this one is very simple.

1970s Soviet Army Tunic

And lastly, here is a very nice Border guards Staff Sergeant also from 1989. It features a very nice metal laced Aiguillette, A Komsomol pin, 3rd class proficiency badge, a excellent track runner badge and army excellency badge, this one is one of my favorites.

Thanks for sharing yours, all great examples. I especially like the Border Guard's tunic. What style of belt would have been worn with this type of uniform?

B.B.

Officers and enlisted men wore two different belts, there were also belt variations that being of "field" and parade belts.

Firstly, Enlisted men wore a simple heavy duty canvas/faux leather belt with a nice brass buckle with a Hammer and sickle on it, there was a white version for parade duties As well. in regulation, belts only had to be worn on formal occasions such as parade duties

Officer belts were made of brown leather, they had a cross strap with them and they had some small embroidery/design to them and a plain steel buckle with two eyelet holes. the parade version of the officer's belt is quite different, featuring golden and yellow embroidery as well as a oval shaped buckle with a wreathed hammer and sickle.

I'd like to comment that officers wore the same cut of service uniform as enlisted men, they only differed in the insignia on them and sometimes officers would buy higher quality uniforms from tailors. generals and up wore a different style of uniform manufactured with much more quality in mind.

This is the belt that would be typically worn with an enlisted mans version of the M69 uniform.
    1970s Soviet Army Tunic

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast