Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

HELP - Can anyone identify this uniform?

Article about: Hi, This is my first time on this forum, so I apologize in advance if I'm posting in the wrong place. I have a photo of my Grandfather wearing a military uniform. He thinks it was his uncle'

Default HELP - Can anyone identify this uniform?

Hi,

This is my first time on this forum, so I apologize in advance if I'm posting in the wrong place.

I have a photo of my Grandfather wearing a military uniform. He thinks it was his uncle's, which would date it somewhere in the early 1900's or late 1800's. I'm actually not even sure what country it's from, but since his family was from the Poland, Russia, Belarus area (not sure exactly where...) I would assume it's likely from that area.

Any information would be greatly appreciated!

HELP - Can anyone identify this uniform?

Default Re: HELP - Can anyone identify this uniform?

Hi, and welcome to the forum!

I have moved your thread to here.

He is actually wearing WW2 US Army class A uniform, rank of private first class. He wears a Marksman's award on his breast with various qualification bars. Given he wears the visor cap and garrison belt I would suggest that the photo was taken in the earlier part of the war. The tan coloured tie repalced the early black tie, so I would imagine 1942 or 1943 at the latest.

Cheers, Ade.

Thanks for your help! By the way, the 1942/43 date would be about correct given the age of the boy.

I have 2 other questions:

1) Do you have any idea why a 12 year old boy would own a army outfit that fits him so well? The man in the picture is my grandfather, and on the back of the picture, it says he was 12 years old at the time.

2) Is it common for someone that comes over from another country to have served in the US military within a few years of coming over?

That explains the Daisy BB gun then.....
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

People were generally a lot smaller in build back then. Many grew up in the Depression and had poor diet. I have a German tunic which fitted my friend's 12 year old son perfectly.

Cheers, Ade.