Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

M35? Soviet Marshall's dress visor question

Article about: Hello everyone and good day to you all, I am absolutely new to the world of forums,other than occasionally google searching through old threads that have been previously posted, so please fo

Default M35? Soviet Marshall's dress visor question

Hello everyone and good day to you all,
    I am absolutely new to the world of forums,other than occasionally google searching through old threads that have been previously posted, so please forgive me if I make some mistakes as I'm pretty technologically ignorant.... . Seems to me like there's some of you here that are TERRIBLY knowledgable on various military memorabilia items and I was hoping to get some of your opinions on this one here. I really don't know who or what else to turn to for this information so here goes. I purchased this visor a while back. It was advertised as an early model MSU steel grey parade type with hat badge specific to this variety of headgear. The chinstrap, as you can see, broke at some point so that's one of its obvious flaws. Are there any members here that have any thoughts on this piece? I can upload additional pictures if need be Thanks for your time gentlemen. It is appreciated
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M35? Soviet Marshall's dress visor question   M35? Soviet Marshall's dress visor question  

M35? Soviet Marshall's dress visor question   M35? Soviet Marshall's dress visor question  

We're paratroopers Lieutenant. We re supposed to be surrounded...

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M35? Soviet Marshall's dress visor question
    P
    Many

Sorry about the sideways pictures. Dunno how that happened :S
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M35? Soviet Marshall's dress visor question   M35? Soviet Marshall's dress visor question  

M35? Soviet Marshall's dress visor question  

I'm sorry to say that this is a fake, in my opinion. I'm no expert on Soviet headgear but nothing just seems right with this. The red center piece with the decorative golden wreaths is from a postwar visor hat I think and the buttons at the side should not look like that at all, the general cockarde is also a weird hybrid with a postwar cockarde.

Welcome to the forum. Collecting high rank Soviet items is dangerous and very costly, there have been so many "Marshal of the Soviet Union" items turning up during the recent years that you could outfit an army with them.

I appreciate your thoughts Aleksander. I went into this knowing the odds of this truly being a legitimate war/pre war era MSU visor probably weren't all that great but I figured I'd roll the dice. I DID however compare the band to several legitimate examples that I ve seen in books and the embroidery is nearly identical. The cockade was one that I hadn't seen before although the star itself is magnetic if that helps at all as are the chinstrap buttons. It also passed "ye olde black light test" too and the material looks similar to that of other MSU visors that I ve seen.it even has that 80 year old aroma! If this really is a fake then it would seem somebody put a decent amount of effort into convincing folks otherwise.Collecting can be a mine filed though which is one of the reasons I wanted to ask those in the know. I guess I should try doing that BEFORE I spend the money next time....anyways, thanks again my friend. I do appreciate it

Default Interior of High ranking Officer Furazhka

I would say firstly its well made with the sort of tricot wool you would expect but that the inside looks too simple for the rank grade. I have a Generals cap with the manufacturer mark ' Kombinat' of Moscow and a more de luxe sweatband . I mention this as the manufacturer diamond with silvered stamps is something very hard to fake . Visually the MSU cap is still impressive , but so are millinery skills in Russia today .
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M35? Soviet Marshall's dress visor question