Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

Need help with authenticating and possible dating of a Soviet Pilotka

Article about: Hello, A while ago I bought a Soviet Pilotka from a surplus and replica store I know well and use quite often. I basically bought a random surplus Pilotka size 56 and this one arrived, as yo

Question Need help with authenticating and possible dating of a Soviet Pilotka

Hello,
    A while ago I bought a Soviet Pilotka from a surplus and replica store I know well and use quite often. I basically bought a random surplus Pilotka size 56 and this one arrived, as you'll see it has no sweat band and no markings, which wouldn't be odd if it were a WW2 one (they could have been worn off), but I highly doubt that this one is WW2, the star cockade it came with was a standard post war field green one, although I replaced it with a newer field star when the original one broke off. I have seen many different pilotkas with little to no markings, but they atleast had remnants of them or a simple size stamp. Any information about it would be appreciated.
    Thank you all in advance.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Need help with authenticating and possible dating of a Soviet Pilotka   Need help with authenticating and possible dating of a Soviet Pilotka  

Need help with authenticating and possible dating of a Soviet Pilotka   Need help with authenticating and possible dating of a Soviet Pilotka  

Need help with authenticating and possible dating of a Soviet Pilotka   Need help with authenticating and possible dating of a Soviet Pilotka  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Need help with authenticating and possible dating of a Soviet Pilotka
    P
    Many

Not sure what you're wanting to know???? Fairly recent production Pilotka. No stamps, no markings and wrong material for Patriotic War period. Makes me wonder if it's not a tourist trade item. Made for purchase by tourist as a memento. See what others have to say.

Gerry C.

From the Very WINDY High Plains of the Midwest U.S.A.

Thank you for your reply,
    Well, I want to know if there is a way to confirm it's an original Soviet production pilotka or if it's a random replica which has accidentally made it's way into stocks of surplus ones. Plus it would be great to know the time frame of manufacture... If there even is a way to tell.

Like Gerry I also think it's a souvenir piece.

Ah, bummer, I wonder if the store knew that it's probably a souvenir piece or if it really just got mixed up with the surplus ones... A shame either way, not too much money lost, but still, tuppence is tuppence.

Without getting into the mind of the seller it's hard to say what they knew or didn't know. If it matters... don't feel alone. I have a box full of mistakes in one form or another. Some expensive and some cheap. It happens to all of us.

Gerry C.

From the High Plains of the Midwest U.S.A.

I was looking at the pilotka again and I noticed that there are some... Shades or how to call it, it reminds me of the remnants of a makers' stamp, but my mind could be just playing tricks on me. It isn't really visible in the photo, but I tried to outline it somewhat. Need help with authenticating and possible dating of a Soviet PilotkaNeed help with authenticating and possible dating of a Soviet Pilotka

Well, my eyes are probably just tricking me, I guess that I'll try to ask the seller if he has any info about the source from where he got the batch of caps including mine.