Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Is this pilot's jacket authentic?

Article about: Recently got this pilot's jacket from a friend recently but can only find a few listings for them and conflicting dates of when they were used. The exterior and inside look exactly like ever

?

Default Is this pilot's jacket authentic?

Recently got this pilot's jacket from a friend recently but can only find a few listings for them and conflicting dates of when they were used. The exterior and inside look exactly like every listing I've found of them but I cannot find the makers marking. The inside of the sleeves are also a different material than the rest of the inside. Pictures of a piece of paper and a collar attachment found in the pockets are attached. Is this example authentic and when were these issued? If more pictures are needed I will provide them as soon as possible.
    Is this pilot's jacket authentic?Is this pilot's jacket authentic?Is this pilot's jacket authentic?Is this pilot's jacket authentic?Is this pilot's jacket authentic?Is this pilot's jacket authentic?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Is this pilot's jacket authentic?
    P
    Many

?

These leather jackets were not an issue item, but were simply privately acquired, civilian types (motorcycling, &c.), so details vary quite significantly. However, the majority of those examples marketed as Luftwaffe flight jackets have probably never been anywhere near an aircraft..

?

Thanks for the info. I was thinking mine was a private purchase example but didn't know they all were. Maybe mine was actually used by a pilot but I guess I'll never know.

pbj567,

Have a legit Patriotic War leather flight jacket. It's been examined by two very knowledgeable Soviet collectors and found to be WW2 issue. The one I possess does not have two zipper pockets positioned as high on the chest as the one pictured. They are located more at an elbow level. Further, mine has a zippered pocket positioned on the left side of the chest. The two snap buttons located at the base of the jacket are also brown in color. Not silver.

I'm sure there were various makers of these during the war. All i can say is most of the WW2 flight jackets I've seen (period photos-collectors books) are more in line with what I have. Not what's pictured above. I believe it is a legit flight jacket. Just not sure if it's Patriotic War period or not. Maybe a later issue.

As far as all jackets being private purchase, not really sure about that. So I'll go along with what Kohima suggests. Finally, I'll pull mine out of the closet again and give it a good once over. See If what I'm touting is correct. Will also see what others have to say about my supposition.

Gerry C.

From the High Plains of the Midwest U.S.A.

?

While I would love to have a flight jacket from the Great Patriotic War I believe mine is a much later pattern. I believe mine was probably made in the 80s based on some listings I found.

FYI. Went home and checked out my jacket. Couple of things I'll add to the above. The pockets on the side have no zippers. Only the pocket on the chest does. The collar is also permanently attached. It cannot be snapped off. Further the underside of the collar is leather. Not lined with corduroy. Hope this helps.

Gerry C.

From the High Plains of the Midwest U.S.A.

?

My apologies.. I didn’t even notice this was the Soviet section and took it to have been presented as a Luftwaffe garment. Please ignore my previous comment in this case.
    As for the soviet flight jackets, I believe them to have been a largely post-war issue item, though have no reference (regarding issue versus private purchase status) of those used during the GPW.

?

That makes sense. You're all good. I figured you were just using Luftwaffe jackets as an example. Mine is definitely a post-war issue from the description Gerry C gave of his jacket.