Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

1944 Reconnaissance Corps Captains Service Dress

Article about: An officers Service Dress for the Reconnaissance Corps, named to a J B Smith and dated 10th March 1944. It is badged for a Captain. Unfortunately with a name like J Smith I am unlikely to id

Default 1944 Reconnaissance Corps Captains Service Dress

An officers Service Dress for the Reconnaissance Corps, named to a J B Smith and dated 10th March 1944. It is badged for a Captain. Unfortunately with a name like J Smith I am unlikely to identify the original owner.

He is shown wearing:
    1944 dated black beret with Reconnaissance Corps cap badge
    Post war cap with a reproduction cap badge (it’s there just for show, however, the likelihood of me finding an original cap, and then being able to afford it, are very slim)
    1944 dated Service Dress tunic
    1945 dated shirt
    Period tie
    Sam Browne belt
    Period officers leather gloves
    1944 dated Service Dress trousers
    Period private purchase officers boots.

It all fits the mannequin very nicely so I guess the original owner wasn’t far off the same size.

I have a couple of questions if anyone knows the answers:
    1. The medal ribbons came attached to the tunic, however, the last the one is the Queens Coronation medal. Given that the Reconnaissance Corps was disbanded in 1946 would anyone have kept hold of this uniform and worn it with the Coronation medal?
    2. At this late stage in the war would a leather pistol holster be worn with the Sam Browne belt? I have WW2 dated one stored away somewhere and it would be nice to find it a home rather than it being in a box.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 1944 Reconnaissance Corps Captains Service Dress   1944 Reconnaissance Corps Captains Service Dress  

1944 Reconnaissance Corps Captains Service Dress   1944 Reconnaissance Corps Captains Service Dress  

1944 Reconnaissance Corps Captains Service Dress   1944 Reconnaissance Corps Captains Service Dress