Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

3rd Tank Bn. Tank Jacket - ID help please!

Article about: Hello Gentlemen, Just thought I’d share this ‘Cherry’ with you... It’s been in my collection for some time and I’ve always felt it should be thoroughly researchable, but have never really ha

?

Default 3rd Tank Bn. Tank Jacket - ID help please!

Hello Gentlemen,
    Just thought I’d share this ‘Cherry’ with you...
    It’s been in my collection for some time and I’ve always felt it should be thoroughly researchable, but have never really had much luck beyond unit history.
    I would very much welcome and be grateful for any more flesh anyone can add to these bones!
    I believe (though may well be way off) that the ‘B-79’ and ‘B-119’ may refer to vehicle ID codes...
    My sincerest thanks in advance,
    Bob
    3rd Tank Bn. Tank Jacket - ID help please!3rd Tank Bn. Tank Jacket - ID help please!

?

By the way, forgot to mention the laundry mark ‘K-9173’, just visible in a couple of places at the bottom skirt... if that helps.
    All that stuff he scribbled on there... if only he’d added his surname!
    All the best,
    Bob

Hi Kohima

Nice piece of been there done that history!

Try enlistment records and unit rosters long shot but you never know!

Home | WWII US Army Enlistment Records

3rd Tank Bn was assigned to 10th Armoured Division during WWII.

Phill

Great jacket there Bob.

?

Thanks very much Phill!
    I know 3rd Tank Bn. was seriously involved in the defence of Bastogne, later providing mobile support to the 101st.
    From your suggestion, I’ve found two possibilities...
    Kemp, Karl R. - 35479173: White, born 1909, Engineer, enlisted 10th May 1942, Louisville, Kentucky. Pvt.
    &
    Kennedy, R. C. - 37369173: Negro, born 1915, Architect, enlisted 24th June 1942, Jefferson Missouri. Pvt.

Granted, neither are clearly a ‘Robbie’, but I had to go with anyone with an ‘R’!

Really hoping it’s Mr. Kennedy... but just to pin it down to anyone would be fantastic.
    Right, deeper search into the 3rd TB required, methinks! Any suggestions on how to proceed are most welcome, of course...

Many thanks chaps,
    Bob
    Last edited by Kohima; 05-19-2018 at 12:36 PM.

Tough to research laundry no.s as I've a few miss hits, NARA NARA - AAD - List of Series - Wars/ International Relations: World War II
    lost lots of records due to a fire.

?

Many thanks Rene,
    Like you, I’ve always found limited information from such records; at best confirming what you already know.. It’s a bugger that there is rarely a record of branch or unit on these forms (despite the presence of a column for that), but then they are merely a record of enlistment after all, rather than a full service history, and at time of enlistment there was no unit!
    I’m a teeny bit further forward on this, but nowhere near any kind of confirmation.

Any idea what the ‘B-79’ and ‘B-119’ might be? I’ve got a vague notion that it refers to a vehicle number (though they do seem rather high), but can’t find any confirmation of that either.
    Grrr.

?

Well, I’ve managed to rule out R.C. Kennedy... he was a T-5 in Co.B, 376th Port Bn., TC, serving in the PTO. Very interesting history too!
    I know there were a couple of mixed-race Armoured Divisions in the US Army (one being the 12th A/D, but haven’t been able to identify the other), I was just hoping it was the 10th.
    Anyway, it wasn’t Mr. Kennedy after all (and his first name was Robert)!
    Absolutely zip on Mr. Kemp...
    Frustrating.

Any thoughts on those number codes?
    Cheers,
    Bob

Bob

US Army units were segregated during WWII , African Americans had their own units including Tank Destroyer Bn etc.

B could refer to CCB Combat Command B , support unit, later became CCR Combat Command Reserve and the number could refer to the vehicle number.

I think 3rd Tank Bn was assigned to CCB/CCR Feb 1945.

10th Armd Div was formed under the light Tank Division TOE.

Phill

?

Hi Phill,
    Many thanks for your reply. The 3rd Tk Bn was actually assigned to the 10th A/D much earlier, apparently one of the originals (July 1942), but I can’t pin down a date.
    I do, however, have the citation text for the DUC, awarded: January 14th, 1945

Citation:
    "During the all out German offensive of December 1944, the 3rd Tk Bn participated in the defence of Bastogne. From 18 Dec 44 to 30 Dec 44 the Battalion performed its mission of withholding the enemy from Bastogne, first as holding force of the reenforced Combat Command, and second by operating as a mobile reserve for the 101st Airborne Division in the perimeter defense, taking an active and physical participation in that defense. The 3d Tk Bn distinguished itself by extraordinary heroism and exhibited such gallantry, determination and outstanding moral that every attempt by the enemy to enter Bastogne was repulsed.
    Through days and nights of bitter cold and intense enemy activity and fire, the Battalion consistently continued its fighting function despite depleted strength in personnel and material. The individual bravery, keen judgement and combat skill of the members of the 3d Tk Bn prevented heavy losses to friendly troops and resulted in stopping the enemy advance into the besieged city, inflicting upon him extremely heavy losses. Innumerable acts of individual and collective gallantry and self sacrifice were performed with unthinking unselfishness in the calm determination to hold whatever the cost.
    The cool courage, combat skill and esprit de corps displayed by members of the 3d Tk Bn was inspiring and contagious to all troops in the vicinity and reflects the highest traditions of the armed forces of the United States."

Exciting stuff...
    Cheers,
    Bob