Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

78th Infantry Mega Grouping

Article about: A few months back I was having lunch with my girlfriend in the next town over. This particular town has multiple antique shops set up on it's main street, and whenever I'm in the area I alwa

Default 78th Infantry Mega Grouping

A few months back I was having lunch with my girlfriend in the next town over. This particular town has multiple antique shops set up on it's main street, and whenever I'm in the area I always try to check them out. So after finishing my lunch I convinced my girlfriend to accompany me to a few of the shops. The first two shops didn't have anything noteworthy, but the third shop did have something... and it was opportunity! The woman that runs this particular shop is someone I've dealt with quite a bit in the past. Over the years I've stopped in quite often, and after so many visits the owner knows exactly the type of pieces that I'm passionate about. When me and my girlfriend stopped in this particular day, the owner's eyes lit up. She told me that she was hopping that I'd stop in, as she just inherited a bunch of war related items that belonged to her grandfather.

She didn't have them in the shop that day, but she would send me a text whenever she brought them in. Just two days ago I received a text from her that she had the items in the shop, and I could come down at any time to take a look. I was beyond excited and got to the shop as fast as I could. When I arrived she invited me to the back room, and in there she had her grandfather's stuff all spread out. I was immediately taken back. I sort of felt like Charlie when he first stepped foot inside the chocolate factory! This woman's grandfather held on to so many pieces from his time in the army. After composing myself, I carefully looked at each item and explained the meaning/history behind each piece to the granddaughter. As I was explaining one item.. I looked up and saw that she was crying.

Looking through these items brought back a good deal of memories of her grandpa. She explained to me that this man was actually her step grandfather, but she loved him as if he was blood. From her accounts he was a damn good man, and she misses him dearly. At that point I was more than understanding if she was beginning to have second thoughts about selling me these items, but she quickly reassured me that she was still wanting them to go to my collection. In her own words 'He never talked about his time in the army much. From what little he did share we knew he had gone through some crazy stuff. These pieces come from a dark time in his life, and I'd rather not hold on to them'. So... I ended up making an offer on everything she had, and I brought them home later that day. The excitement doesn't end there though! The seller told me that she was willing to let me talk to her mother 'The vet's step daughter' in order to learn more history about this man's life. So in the near future I'll be heading to her house to learn as much as I can. I'll bring my laptop and document everything she's willing to share. From that point I'll then add the history to this thread so you guys can learn as I do.

Without further ado.. here are the items themselves! Everything pictured belonged to Steve Jurkovich. From the granddaughter's account she believed he was of Polish decent. His ASN is 35096934. Almost every piece is ID'd to him in some form, either by name or laundry number. Dress jackets, canvass field gear, and even captured bayonets... he held on to a lot! Words cannot express how happy I am to be the next caretaker of these items. I made a promise to the granddaughter that I will never sell or trade these items, and I intend to uphold that promise. By owning these items, my main goal is to preserve Mr. Jurkovich's memory. I intend to do that by posting this thread, and by bringing his gear to the various WWII learning events that I host at my local libraries.

I hope everyone enjoys looking at this amazing history!

78th Infantry Mega Grouping78th Infantry Mega Grouping78th Infantry Mega Grouping78th Infantry Mega Grouping78th Infantry Mega Grouping78th Infantry Mega Grouping78th Infantry Mega Grouping78th Infantry Mega Grouping78th Infantry Mega Grouping78th Infantry Mega Grouping78th Infantry Mega Grouping78th Infantry Mega Grouping78th Infantry Mega Grouping78th Infantry Mega Grouping78th Infantry Mega Grouping78th Infantry Mega Grouping78th Infantry Mega Grouping78th Infantry Mega Grouping78th Infantry Mega Grouping78th Infantry Mega Grouping78th Infantry Mega Grouping78th Infantry Mega Grouping

Great finds and great history.

Regards
    Santi

Damn nice grouping! Is that a jeep coat? I don't remember seeing it when you showed me this grouping the other day.

Quote by RustyRelics View Post
    Damn nice grouping! Is that a jeep coat? I don't remember seeing it when you showed me this grouping the other day.
    Yes, I believe it is a jeep coat. It's super heavy too. I think I forgot to send you a picture of it. When I texted you I was still coming off of my high from finding such pieces!

Quote by Luftwaffe 1941 View Post
    Yes, I believe it is a jeep coat. It's super heavy too. I think I may have forgotten to send you a picture of it. When I texted you I was still coming off of my high from finding such pieces!
    They are super heavy! They have to be, driving open top vehicles at speed in the frozen reich!

Hi there.

Great group, thanks for sharing it with us.

Steve Jurkovich in the U.S., World War II Army Enlistment Records, 1938-1946

Name: Steve Jurkovich
    Race: White
    Marital Status: Single, without dependents (Single)
    Birth Year: 1918
    Nativity State or Country: Indiana
    Citizenship: Citizen
    Residence: Porter, Indiana
    Education: 4 years of high school
    Civil Occupation: Semiskilled welders and flame cutters
    Enlistment Date: 12 March 1943
    Enlistment Place: Fort Benjamin Harrison, Indiana
    Service Number: 35096934
    Branch: No branch assignment
    Component: Selectees (Enlisted Men)
    Source: Civil Life
    Height: 18
    Weight: 124

Steve Jurkovich in the U.S., World War II Draft Cards Young Men, 1940-1947

Race: White
    Relationship to Draftee: Self (Head)
    Birth Date: 4 Nov 1918
    Birth Place: Clinton, Indiana
    Residence Place: Gary, Porter, Indiana, USA
    Registration Date: 16 Oct 1940
    Registration Place: Indiana, USA
    Employer: Carnegie Ill. Steel Corp.
    Height: 5 8
    Weight: 150
    Complexion: Ruddy
    Hair Color: Brown
    Eye Color: Brown
    Next of Kin: Edith Jurkovich (Mother)
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 78th Infantry Mega Grouping   78th Infantry Mega Grouping  

It looks like there was a surname change at some point. Plus I would read his parents nationality as Hungarian.

Steve Ujlaky in the Indiana, U.S., Birth Certificates, 1907-1944

Name: Steve Ujlaky
    Birth Place: Indiana, Vermillion, Indiana, USA
    Father: Steve Ujlaky
    Mother: Edith Theisz
    Certificate Number: 60626
    Roll Number: 45385_539597
    Volume Range: 119 - 128
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 78th Infantry Mega Grouping  

Birth Place: Clinton, Vermillion County, Indiana, United States of America
    Death Date: 5 Jul 2006
    Death Place: Clovis, Curry County, New Mexico, United States of America
    Cemetery: Calumet Park Cemetery
    Burial or Cremation Place: Merrillville, Lake County, Indiana, United States of America

Steve Jurkovich, 87, of Clovis died Wednesday, July 5, 2006, at home in Clovis.
    He was born Nov. 4, 1918, in Clinton, Ind.
    He was a welder and gas station owner.
    Survivors include his wife, Ann Marie Jurkovich, and a daughter, Sandy Roose.

Steve Jurkovich (1918-2006) - Find a Grave Memorial

Kind regards,

Will.

Oh man, thank you so very much Willmore!!

I greatly appreciate you taking the time to find and share this information. I'll be sure to print out his draft card and birth certificate. When I visit with the vet's step daughter I'll show her these documents. I think she'll really enjoy seeing them. Again, thanks a ton! This really means a lot to me.
    Last edited by Luftwaffe 1941; 02-20-2023 at 03:52 AM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast