Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

95th Infantry Grouping

Article about: As of lately I’ve had the good fortune of being able to buy some U.S. uniforms directly from the families of WWII veterans. This particular uniform grouping made it to me in the mail today

Default 95th Infantry Grouping

As of lately I’ve had the good fortune of being able to buy some U.S. uniforms directly from the families of WWII veterans. This particular uniform grouping made it to me in the mail today, and I felt like I should share with you guys here on the forum.

This group consists of An Ike jacket, khaki shirt, pants, VFW Illinois garrison cap, 1954 VFW pin, US screw back collar disc, an assortment of ribbons, and a loose sergeant patch. The individual who sold me this group was actually the veteran’s grandson. When I asked if he could give me any more information behind his grandfather he told me this.

"This was my grandfathers. His name was Donald Myers. He was in Patton’s army North Africa, and in France"

The jacket and shirt are patched to the 95th infantry division. The 95th certainly served in France, but as far as I know they didn’t see service in North Africa. It appears on both the shirt and jacket that a rectangle shaped patch was once sewn to right shoulder, but it is long gone. Maybe that was the patch from his previous division in North Africa?

The 95th infantry division gained their fame after liberating the French town of Metz. It was there they received their nickname "The Iron Men of Metz". In total the 95th saw 151 days of combat in the European theater of WWII. A good deal of the combat they saw was brutal close quarters 'House to House' fighting.

Every piece of this uniform has a dry cleaner tag dating from 2010 attached to it. I assume that’s why the insignia was loose from this uniform when I got it. I reattached the ribbons and collar disc in the correct fashion. Unfortunately the second screw back disc is missing. I did make sure to tell the seller that if he finds anything else relating to his grandfather’s service to let me know. I’m keeping my fingers crossed the missing disc may turn up in the near future.

95th Infantry Grouping95th Infantry Grouping95th Infantry Grouping95th Infantry Grouping95th Infantry Grouping95th Infantry Grouping95th Infantry Grouping
    Last edited by Luftwaffe 1941; 07-19-2020 at 12:19 AM.

Very nice grouping..

Has good research potential...

Smitty

Quote by Rakkasan187 View Post
    Very nice grouping..

Has good research potential...

Smitty
    Thanks Smitty!

Hopefully I can dig up some more info behind the vet sometime. Having his full name certainly is a big help!

Best Regards- Jarret

Congratulations Jarret on being the next caretaker. As Smitty stated you picked up a nice grouping with a lot of research possibilities. I will see what I can dig up, can you find out when he died or DOB.

Marty
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

Can you get a middle name?

Marty
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

Thank you! It's certainly a special feeling when you know you're the first collector to lay your hands on a particular item.

I'm still in contact with the grandson, and I'll definitely ask him today if he can share with me his grandfathers DOB & DOD. I'll also ask if he knows his middle name as well. I really appreciate you taking the time to possibly dig up some more info on this vet!

Best Regards- Jarret

Jarret,

I think I may have the 95th Division unit history.. I will check and see and then when you get a name maybe we can look him up..

Smitty

A very nice find.

?

Great Pick Up Jarret!!

Semper Fi
    Phil

Perhaps a picture of the right shoulder may help to figure out which patch used to be there.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast