Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Amphibious Ike jacket

Article about: I recently picked up this cool Ike jacket and wanted to share it with you guys. It has a beautiful assortment of patches that include- Army amphibious landing, ADSEC/ETO, Four six month serv

Default Amphibious Ike jacket

I recently picked up this cool Ike jacket and wanted to share it with you guys.

It has a beautiful assortment of patches that include- Army amphibious landing, ADSEC/ETO, Four six month service bars, Army amphibious engineer, ruptured duck, and two first sergeant rank patches. There are also a few ribbons as well- WWII victory, good conduct with two knots?, American defense, and European theater with arrowhead device and 3 campaign stars.

I thoroughly looked over this jacket, and to me everything looks good. Just my gut feeling, but I don't feel like anything was added post war to enhance the desirability. Both the ribbons, and collar discs have the correct period non dimpled clutches.

From the looks of it, I would assume this man was involved to some degree with the June 6th Normandy landings. Unfortunately I found no name or laundry number anywhere, so the chances of researching this jacket's original owner are very slim.

Any and all opinions are greatly appreciated!

Best regards- Jarret

Amphibious Ike jacketAmphibious Ike jacketAmphibious Ike jacketAmphibious Ike jacket
    Amphibious Ike jacket

Very nice! A lovely array of insignia on this one. A shame it can't be researched, but that certainly doesn't take away from the jacket's overall appearance!

Regards, B.B.

Jarrett,

Great looking uniform. I also believe this has not been altered.. What I do like are the wide ribbons that are more common with Marine Corps and Naval Personnel, BUT it is not uncommon for Army personnel to have the wider 1/2 inch ribbons, and if memory serves me, the regulations for Army personnel by the end of WW2 restricted Soldiers from wearing the wider ribbon bars, hence the reason the WW2 Victory ribbon is smaller in size..

The Army Good Conduct Medal with knots: (Loops) are awarded by the U.S. Army to indicate multiple decorations of the Army Good Conduct Medal and are worn as attachments to the medal and ribbon. Good Conduct Knots are bronze, silver or gold clasps with knot emblems to indicate the number of awards received.

A bronze clasp with two knots is given upon the recipients second award as indicated with this Soldiers Ribbon Bar... and an additional knot is added for each consecutive award. At six awards, a silver clasp with one knot replaces the bronze clasp and at 11 awards a gold clasp with one knot replaces the silver.

Smitty

Quote by Rakkasan187 View Post
    Jarrett,

Great looking uniform. I also believe this has not been altered.. What I do like are the wide ribbons that are more common with Marine Corps and Naval Personnel, BUT it is not uncommon for Army personnel to have the wider 1/2 inch ribbons, and if memory serves me, the regulations for Army personnel by the end of WW2 restricted Soldiers from wearing the wider ribbon bars, hence the reason the WW2 Victory ribbon is smaller in size..

The Army Good Conduct Medal with knots: (Loops) are awarded by the U.S. Army to indicate multiple decorations of the Army Good Conduct Medal and are worn as attachments to the medal and ribbon. Good Conduct Knots are bronze, silver or gold clasps with knot emblems to indicate the number of awards received.

A bronze clasp with two knots is given upon the recipients second award as indicated with this Soldiers Ribbon Bar... and an additional knot is added for each consecutive award. At six awards, a silver clasp with one knot replaces the bronze clasp and at 11 awards a gold clasp with one knot replaces the silver.

Smitty
    I really appreciate that very helpful info!

I never knew about the ribbon size regulations. I agree with your assumption. It would make sense that the victory medal is smaller in size given the time frame it would be awarded.

I have encountered the good conduct ribbon with knots before, but never knew what it signified. If you don't mind me asking, how would one progress to the point where you would be awarded these knots? Would you have to be a very kind person who goes out of their way to help others, or something along these lines?

Once again thank you Smitty! You taught me something new.

Best regards- Jarret

?

That is a great looking Ike, which has some serious history to it. That is a shame it does not have a laundry number to research.
    I like seeing the American defense ribbon. That puts him in before our involvement into WW2.

Semper Fi
    Phil

Jarrett,

An Army Good Conduct medal is awarded for basically just that "Good Conduct".. The military services require that you conduct yourself in a manner that is befitting for that service. You represent the Nation, your unit, you family,, etc. and good conduct includes things such as not going AWOL, (Absent without Leave) Drinking and Driving, fighting, spousal abuse, child abuse,, all offenses which could be detrimental to the service.. By keeping a clean record, doing what you are told, not disobeying orders and things like that, after 3 years of Honorable service you are entitled to this decoration. Continued good conduct after the first award will lead you on your path to a second award, third award, etc.. But this is not guaranteed. There are rules and regulations that must be followed..

It is not difficult to maintain Good Conduct in the Armed Forces.. It is a matter of individual choices and in some cases the consequences for making bad choices..

I served 21 years and I received 7 Army good Conduct medals, with the knots (loops) as well...

Smitty

?

Excellent description of the Good Cookie Smitty,

Jarrett just an FYI, the rope and knots is an US Army thing.
    Marine Corps/Navy you will recieve either a Bronze or Silver star to put on the ribbon for consecutive awards.
    USAF will use Bronze or Silver Oak leafs
    Semper Fi
    Phil

I had to look up the Amphibious landing patch. When I first saw
    the photos, I wondered what this guy was doing with a British
    Commando patch on his jacket.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

Phil,,

Thank you,, very good point about our Sister Services.. And Correct me if I am wrong on this as I am not too well versed on the Navy and Marine Corps Good Conduct Medal criteria..

But,, I seem to recall reading that the Marine Corps eligibility requirements for their award was 4 years of honorable service??? But that changed around or after WW2 to be more in synch with the Army?? Not sure about the Navy if it was 4 years as well...

Smitty

Greg,

The Amphibious insignia has two versions, the blue version as seen here for Army personnel and a red version of the same patch for Naval and Coast Guard personnel...

And yes, this patch is often confused with the very similar British Commando insignia.. Good pick up...

Smitty

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast