Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

ATS 1941 pattern service dress and cap (named)

Article about: Hiya, here is a small named group to one girl. The jacket is the 1941 pattern ATS service dress. It is a very small size. She was a slim girl. She was attached to the Royal Army Ordnance Cor

Default ATS 1941 pattern service dress and cap (named)

Hiya, here is a small named group to one girl.

The jacket is the 1941 pattern ATS service dress. It is a very small size. She was a slim girl. She was attached to the Royal Army Ordnance Corps (Same as me when I was in the Army in the WRAC) as evidenced by the RAOC collar dog worn as a breast badge. The girls were allowed to do this at their CO's discretion.

The cap is also her's and like the jacket bears her name and service number written in black ink. This is very common to findthem marked like this. Maker marked and dated "A&J Geffer, Glasgow, 1943". Size 6 3/4.

When I first bought the group and looked at the name, "Kuhr", Ade & I both thought it might be of Indian origin? However, having looked into it we have discovered it is German. We have done some research on Ancestry and found it is a rare name in the UK. Going from birth records we have found only two girls with this surname, most likely sisters, born in the correct timeframe. Just frustrating there are no intials to the name. Of course our military records are in effect closed to all but next of kin without us getting a death certificate and the Veteran being dead for many years. So near and yet so far!

Cheers, Lez.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture ATS 1941 pattern service dress and cap (named)   ATS 1941 pattern service dress and cap (named)  

ATS 1941 pattern service dress and cap (named)   ATS 1941 pattern service dress and cap (named)  

ATS 1941 pattern service dress and cap (named)   ATS 1941 pattern service dress and cap (named)  

ATS 1941 pattern service dress and cap (named)  

?

Default Re: ATS 1941 pattern service dress and cap (named)

Stunning uniform and cap Lez, Its realy nice to have some research done on it

Cheers, Pat

Hiya Patrick, thank you. I really like named items.

Cheers, Lez.

NCA
    ?

Nice grouping!I especially like the hat.
    Just out of interest..how many different patterns were there of the serge jackets?I notice the pockets on this have no pleats.Mine has these pleats but the label was removed long ago.

Hiya, with Other Ranks jackets can be found in three basic patterns:

1) The early 1938 pattern without belt in a heavyweight woolen serge cloth (rare) I have one of these.

2) The 1938 pattern modified with cloth waist belt. This jacket is made of a lighter weight "Saxony" woolen cloth. I think this will be the one you have?

3) 1941 pattern as shown here in this thread. The 1941 pattern jacket later issues can also be found with green "plastic" (Officially called "vegetable Ivory") General Service buttons. On these later issues, the two lower pocket buttons were eliminated to save money. The 1941 pattern was a much nicer slimmer cut than the 1938 pattern.

Cheers, Lez.

Very nice uniform group, very cool to see named items IMO and in such good condition.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Thanks Jerry

Cheers, Lez.