Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

B-25 Pilot’s Uniform

Article about: Greetings, I am sharing one of the most important pieces in my collection today. This is a partial grouping Attributes to a B-25 Pilot who I knew as my great grandfather. Enjoy, it’s not m

?

Default B-25 Pilot’s Uniform

Greetings,

I am sharing one of the most important pieces in my collection today. This is a partial grouping Attributes to a B-25 Pilot who I knew as my great grandfather. Enjoy, it’s not much but it’s interesting.

B-25 Pilot’s Uniform

My great grandpa grew up just like every other American boy during the Great Depression, searching for something better. He was born in 1921 and the third of four kids. He had to take a job to provide for the family at 17 after his father died of a heart attack. When Pearl Harbor was attacked, he knew he was going to be sent overseas so he married my great grandma two days later. His enlistment Date did not come until September 1942 however. He joined the Air Corps and was sent to an airfield somewhere near San Antonio. The class of pilots werd later sent to an airfield in Southern California. I wish I would have asked more questions than I already had such as the airfields he had been at. He was never sent overseas and I have never understood how he wasn’t. Somehow he became a flight instructor after getting his wings and discharged having surpassed 500 hours at the yoke of the Mitchell. They were not far from the Grand Canyon in California, he said most flights he took would pass over the Canyon. Airmen that had been shot down in the Pacific and Europe that became POWs began to arrive at the airfield towards the end of the war. Most had never Seen the Grand Canyon being small town kids of that generation. He would offer them a trip to the Grand Canyon before they were discharged and sent home. He would offer those that were Pilots to fly the B-25 to the Canyon if they wanted to. Most were not interested in flying such a small bomber compared to their B-17s and B-24s. Some days he would fly the B-25 full of former POWs multiple times a day building a lot of flight time. It’s another thing I wish I remembered more about when he told me about it. The POWs were either being paid extra before discharged or something because of this extra flight. He passed on a few years ago not far from his centennial birthday. I was at Football practice when I found out he had passed, such a strange feeling.

As I previously said, this is just a partial grouping of his. I remember there was another visor and uniform at his funeral. Along with other photos of him, Someone in the Family has what I would call the other half. This half consists of his Ike jacket, crusher cap, Sterling Wings, and seven photographs. The Ike has a beautiful bullion patch and serge backed wings. I noticed the ghost of an insignia on the right cuff for the first time while photographing this, not sure what that is. The crusher is a private purchased example from Los Angeles that had the stiffener removed. Both have terrible mothing because they were stored in the garage for decades.

B-25 Pilot’s Uniform

B-25 Pilot’s Uniform

Ben

?

Default His well-Wien Crusher

This beautiful visor deserved a separate post of images. His tan crusher with large unmarked eagle. It has a weak front strap and the backstrap. No markings anywhere on the visor either besides the small tag marked Maler MFG. Co. of Los Angeles. It is quite flimsy without the stiffener and crushed having worn it so frequently.

B-25 Pilot’s Uniform

B-25 Pilot’s Uniform

B-25 Pilot’s Uniform

B-25 Pilot’s Uniform

B-25 Pilot’s Uniform

?

Default Photographs

B-25 Pilot’s Uniform
    Great grandpa in his hometown.

B-25 Pilot’s Uniform
    Photo with another airman friend, Horace.

B-25 Pilot’s Uniform

B-25 Pilot’s Uniform
    Taken while stationed in Texas. In Front of the statue of the Texas Pioneers and Trail Drivers at the Rangers Memorial Hall in San Antonio.

B-25 Pilot’s Uniform
    Posed with an unknown major or lieutenant colonel.

B-25 Pilot’s Uniform
    Great grandpa posed with his three sisters.

B-25 Pilot’s Uniform
    Great grandpa posed with his mother. Here he had a unit DI crest that I know nothing about.

B-25 Pilot’s Uniform
    Here he is in uniform as a corporal.

B-25 Pilot’s Uniform
    A scan of great grandpa and grandma while he was stationed in California.

Ben,

This is a great uniform and story of your family's service to our Nation in a time of war.

Wonderful that you are the caretaker of these heirlooms

Smitty

?

An awesome tribute and beautiful pieces. I was able to sit in the cockpit of a b25 at an airshow and I can attest that it is indeed cramped and chock full of gauges and instruments. It takes a special person to learn how to fly one then teach others. Not to mention that these were the spectacular little birds that dared launch off a carrier for Doliitle's raid. Thanks for sharing !
    Regards, Al

?

Thanks so much for showing and what a wonderful family arrlome. Keep them safe and enjoy the fond memories of your grampa they bring.

Thanks Tim

Wonderful grouping still cherished!

Totally agree with others, these are valuable family history pieces with provenance. And to you has passed the privilege of preserving them and the memory of your great grandfather's service. Well done!

?

Thank you all for your reception and kind words. I would like to keep this all pristine and maybe get the rest of the grouping then frame it all. He was one of the two greatest influences that introduced me to the Second World War.

Does anyone recognize what would’ve been the insignia that has left a ghost mark on the right sleeve? I’m only familiar with the qualification patches and the pathfinder patch in this location but it is not possible to be any of these due to service circumstances and the shape. No photos of him in this uniform to even check.

?

Great stuff always awesome to have that family connection to something.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast