Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Boots or service shoes with Ike Jacket

Article about: Guys, Working on a Ike Jacket Grouping and was looking for pictures of what the guys were wearing as far as shoes or boots? I have seen a fuzzy picture of what looks like brown double boots

Default Boots or service shoes with Ike Jacket

Guys,
    Working on a Ike Jacket Grouping and was looking for pictures of what the guys were wearing as far as shoes or boots?
    I have seen a fuzzy picture of what looks like brown double boots but not sure. Can you guys help?
    Thanks in advance!
    I'll take pictures of the completed grouping and post shortly. It is a "Battle of the Bulge" Veteran.

The ike jacket (or m44 field jacket) was intended to be worn as a field jacket that mimicked the British battle dress uniform. Somewhere along the way it started to be worn as a dress uniform. The most appropriate footwear would be the service shoes.

That being said, there is PLENTY of photographic evidence that many soldiers had a more “anything goes” attitude towards their uniforms. I’d bet the farm that there was at least one guy who wor e his double buckle boots with his dress uniform

Boots were more common for the footwear especially for front line combat Soldiers going on leave to say Paris or London.. You most likely wouldn't see a paratrooper from the 101st or 82nd or any of the other ABN divisions wearing low quarters for example..

Now what Eagle Mtn. said is also true that the russet brown low quarters were also worn in many instances... but if you look at some wartime images of the Soldier's in London on leave, such as the Air Force personnel, almost all of them will be wearing some form of low quarter shoe. I have several AAC/AAF groupings that included shoes and custom made brown boots that were worn. Of course there are exceptions to every rule (unit policies for example, unit formations and Command Directives also dictated what was to be worn and when..

But again there was much leniency with the policies and you will be safe with what ever footwear you decide to add..

If you are going with a combat division and this is a Battle of the Bulge set up, double buckle boots would be most appropriate in my humble opinion... In one of the coldest winters on record for Europe in 1944/1945 regardless if in the rear echelon or front line, combat uniform or dress uniform... many Soldiers would be wearing some form of boot or galoshes to battle the bitter cold. Frost bite and trench foot was one of the highest non-combat related injury suffered by the Soldiers due to lack of proper winter wear to include shoe pacs and other warm clothing..

Here is a great image of some African American Soldiers (most of them NCOs) wearing the OD wool field jacket and trousers (Ike Jacket) bloused over combat service boots as well as the Soldier on the far right in the back is wearing low quarters. These men are members of the Army Air Force 9th Engineer Command and the image was taken in 1945.

Hope this helps,,

Best regards, stay safe

Smitty
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Boots or service shoes with Ike Jacket  

Smitty,
    Thanks for your response. I have looked for pictures but most don't show the boots. The uniform is from the 106th, Golden Lions, and will post pictures of the group soon.

Here is an image of 3 veterans of the 106th..

The Soldier in the center is Private Colmer Patton from Arkansas. Patton was Chaplain Alford V. Bradley's driver. Patton was with the 424th Infantry Regiment. The Soldier on the left is believed to be Charles H. O'Brian also from Arkansas. Soldier on the right has not been identified.

You can clearly see the combat boots being worn in this image. The two Soldier's on the left and right appear to have double buckle boots and Pvt. Patton in the center appears to have some form of gaiters over his boots.

Best regards, stay safe

Smitty
    Attached Images Attached Images Boots or service shoes with Ike Jacket 

The two buckle boot would be my pick. If it was for USAAF I'd pick the shoe.

As promised, here is a picture of Cpl. Schaffern and the mannequin with his uniform. I am very honored to be able to put this one together. I also have a picture of him holding this very uniform. Hope you enjoy. ThanksBoots or service shoes with Ike Jacket
    Boots or service shoes with Ike JacketBoots or service shoes with Ike Jacket

?

Fantastic display setup lonewolf!!!
    That is amazing to have a period photo of Cpl. Schaffner wearing it and also I love the photo of Cpl. Schaffern showing his old uniform .

Great Job Honoring Him!!!!!

Semper Fi
    Phil
    Last edited by AZPhil; 08-12-2021 at 10:19 PM. Reason: corrected spelling of Vets name

Nice uniform but I believe his name is John R. Schaffner...

Here is some more information about him..

Naamloos document

Smitty

?

Nice info Smitty!!
    Looks like he is missing the French Croix De Guerre ribbon on that display.

Semper Fi
    Phil

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast