Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

British Khaki Drill Shorts Identification

Article about: Could I please have some opinions on these KD shorts? I have three pairs,all different. All three are different to my two wartime pairs! Does anyone know the dates? I know one pair are '50's

?

Default British Khaki Drill Shorts Identification

Could I please have some opinions on these KD shorts?

I have three pairs,all different. All three are different to my two wartime pairs! Does anyone know the dates?

I know one pair are '50's even with the label and pocket cut out.

One pair seem to have been adapted to have side adjusters from the front adjusters,they have also been taken up slightly.

The final pair seem like economy shorts. No side pockets,long in the leg, wide belt loops and an external rear pocket. A friend feels they are 1943 economy pattern,but his pair are packed in storage for us to compare!!

Khaki Drill fascinates me,but it's a bit of a hit and miss affair for identifying.

Any thoughts welcome,thanks in advance.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British Khaki Drill Shorts Identification   British Khaki Drill Shorts Identification  

British Khaki Drill Shorts Identification   British Khaki Drill Shorts Identification  

British Khaki Drill Shorts Identification   British Khaki Drill Shorts Identification  

If it helps I bought the pair of shorts from the same dealer which had a label - Australian made in 1944. I’m afraid I’m in the same boat as you when it comes to KD so I turned down the three pairs that you bought, they were a good price though in my opinion.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British Khaki Drill Shorts Identification   British Khaki Drill Shorts Identification  

CBH
    ?

I have a pair of Canadian broad arrow C marked shorts.
    I’ll dig them out, if you want a photo.

?

Thank you both. The Australian ones are nice. I believe they are RAAF? The other pair that look similar but with a rear pocket,seem to have small differences so may be privately purchased? It is a nightmare to assess!

Photos of Canadian shorts would also be very helpful,thank you.

Grimebox - do you know where the seller got them? It seems they are an antique dealer, I may email them.

They accepted an offer,so I'm happy. May let a couple of pairs go and keep one.

Quote by BAWSS View Post
    Thank you both. The Australian ones are nice. I believe they are RAAF? The other pair that look similar but with a rear pocket,seem to have small differences so may be privately purchased? It is a nightmare to assess!

Photos of Canadian shorts would also be very helpful,thank you.

Grimebox - do you know where the seller got them? It seems they are an antique dealer, I may email them.

They accepted an offer,so I'm happy. May let a couple of pairs go and keep one.
    No idea where he got them from I’m afraid. They were listed for £20 so I snapped them up. The seller then contacted me and informed me that he had listed the three pairs you bought. They were a good price but I’m a bit spent out this month! I noticed that he also listed these trousers, I assume they were with the shorts when he acquired them

Last edited by Grimebox; 02-12-2021 at 05:09 PM.

?

Interesting! I didn't see them. They look First World War style to me.
    You got them shorts for a good price. My 1941 pattern KD shorts came from an 'op' shop in Australia for $4.95!

I have never found a satisfying guide to KD shorts. I've not found one on here. Perhaps we should begin!

Well I’m all for learning! The only thing that I can say about KD shorts is that in my experience they rarely have a label.

Here's my Indian made pair for a comparison.

?

My Aussie double-buckle pair if that helps.

CBH
    ?

Took me a while to find them, but here they are.
    Two pocket Canadian issue shorts.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast