Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Can you lend an eye on the AAF B-3 flight jacket??

Article about: Hey Folk's. I hope everyone is doing well during these times.. I found a USAAF B-3 jacket, I know there are reproductions of these. The reproductions look good to me, So good, I need help on

?

Default Can you lend an eye on the AAF B-3 flight jacket??

Hey Folk's.
    I hope everyone is doing well during these times..

I found a USAAF B-3 jacket, I know there are reproductions of these. The reproductions look good to me, So good, I need help on this one.

It is advertised as Original and it has a 14 day return policy.

So is it Original?

This is a BIG item on the cost list.
    This will be the most expensive item I have added to this display....

So let me know what you think or see?
    Have questions or concerns, Let me know. I have time to ask for more info.

I am told that the leather material is still very flexible and pliable and won't get damage when I put it on my mannequin.
    It has the snap's on the collar and jacket. The zipper is a TALON made zipper. And the zipper works fine!!

This has been stored flat and is coming out of someone's collection.
    CLICK TO ENLARGE

Semper Fi
    Phil

Tough call for me! need to see the zipper, buckles and snaps, tag looks good but it's lacking a maker. Sorry Phil that I can't help in a better way! needs to be in hand. I was duped by an Eastman A2 once! and handed it back.
    Last edited by reneblacky; 07-20-2020 at 07:14 AM. Reason: added text & pics

Wish I could help determine originality, but I barely know anything on these except that they can sometimes be found with leather strips that had the wearers name on them. While I know returns can be a hassle and having a lot of money tied up can suck, it might be better to buy it now and return it if its fake since finding one of these in this great condition can be hard.

A nicely made jacket Phil and seems like almost no wear at all, but is it authentic ? As Rene says some close up photos of the zippers and buckles might be the best way to verify.

FWIW - I’d call it a good quality repro. Originals are usually thinner hide, have more tone variation on the leather panels and some of the varnish should be flaking off, there should be some wrinkling where the varnish has caused the hide to shrink typically. These were poorly made when new and are fragile and don’t age well. the wool is too bright on this, old wool has a mellow yellowing usually and is more packed down. The collar straps on originals are usually a different shade, these are the same dye as the main jacket. The dye is darker too. I can’t tell if it has the shoulder tabs for the oxygen extension hose to clip too. The collar straps on originals often have different shaped tips, the one closet to the zipper is pointed and the outer is more squared off.

This site shows a great original example WWII Uniforms - Flight Gear 1943

And here USAAF B-3 Flying Jacket in USAAF Flying Jackets WW2

Overall it seems like a good Eastman, Lostworlds or Real McCoys repro. The Japanese jacket companies make some amazing copies too

?

Sorry to say Phil its a nice reproduction from my point of view , Tag or no Tag , its a repro.
    Photos of my 2 examples ,
    You can play spot the difference yourself
    Cheers Rick

Attachment 1428225

Attachment 1428226

Attachment 1428227

Attachment 1428228

Attachment 1428229

Attachment 1428230

Attachment 1428231

Attachment 1428232

Attachment 1428233

Attachment 1428234

?

Quote by Politefaun View Post
    Wish I could help determine originality, but I barely know anything on these except that they can sometimes be found with leather strips that had the wearers name on them. While I know returns can be a hassle and having a lot of money tied up can suck, it might be better to buy it now and return it if its fake since finding one of these in this great condition can be hard.
    That's where we disagree mate . I wouldn't touch it with a 10' pole .
    Peoples wants often can distort their brain, they only see what they want to see
    Ive been guilty of it myself and I'm sure most others have too at some time.
    Phil,
    Rene gave you a good tip , I'm telling you straight out its a trap
    Cheers Rick

?

Thank you Gent's!!
    The first thing I saw was the different leathers used to make these. The one I'm looking at doesn't have that two tone with the lighter horse leather patces used and also the horse leather seam tape. But read that later versions did away with the use of different leathers in its construction. So that had me wondering if this is a later war made Jacket?/ Not Sure!!!

I also noted that the neck straps are dark leather unlike the other examples I see with the lighter colored leather straps. But once again, Not sure if this was once again a later war produce jacket that had dark neck straps.

I also wondered if this jacket has been refinished in one color and all the leather is now dark. And again Not sure.

I have other photo's that are close ups of a small tears and wear on the jacket(Crinkling). They include the zipper and the buckles. When I get home I'll post those to see what other thoughts are.

I can ask about a photo of the snaps also if that will help.

So right now I'm going with the "I'm not touching this thing with a 10 foot pole" approach

Thank you all for your thoughts on this!
    If you have more please share them.

Now Rick,
    Those jackets you posted are very nice one's that checks all the boxes!!

Semper Fi
    Phil

?

Well here are the other pic's I have.

Let me know if you see something that might put this one back on the Table for purchase.

Semper Fi
    Phil

I dunno Phil as I said it needs to be in hand for me mate. One of mine has the well.. matching leather colourings

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast