Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Canadian-made, padded Pilot Wings badge

Article about: A padded Pilot Wings badge I haven't come across before. It has been removed from a No 1 service dress jacket that was completely mothed, and literally falling apart. Its cuff rings denoted

Default Canadian-made, padded Pilot Wings badge

A padded Pilot Wings badge I haven't come across before. It has been removed from a No 1 service dress jacket that was completely mothed, and literally falling apart. Its cuff rings denoted the rank of Squadron Leader.

Note the Serif-type "RAF" embroidery in oatmeal-coloured thread. It is embroidered in the same oatmeal-coloured thread with a slightly-stylized King's Crown; double-row feathers... seven to top row, nine to bottom; and measures 4½" x1¾". (Most of the ones I've seen have Ten feathers on the bottom row.)
    The backing is a khaki canvas-type material.
    The jacket had a Canadian Tailor's label, and also, a smaller label of the Amalgamated Clothing Workers of America sewn beneath the main Tailor's label.

The belt buckle is made by Roden Bros, Toronto; and the buttons are standard J.Gaunt, London.
    Last edited by Shakydoo; 12-04-2014 at 09:45 AM.

Whilst on Canadian Insignia; here's another group that came from a completely mothed, and disgustingly mildewed Officer Rank Field Service Cap. (A friend works in a charity shop, and keeps an eye out for me regarding RAF clothing that is sadly so shot that it is destined for the rag-bag.)

The Crown and Eagle have tines to affix them, and the Eagle has a typical, unbroken "Flat Tail" of the RCAF variants, rather than the normal RAF "Forked Tail"; and is a J R Gaunt version.
    Interesting to note that the Tailor's label bears the original owner's name: "Newman."

As far as I can establish; Simpson's Outfitters were based in Toronto on the corner of Richmond and Bay Streets; and were the Canadian equivalent of Gieves Ltd.