Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Cold War - Battledress 1949 pattern Berlin occupation forces 1955

Article about: Hi everyone, A very nice battledress arrived today. It's not my normal collecting area but I couldn't resist. After visiting Berlin almost every year Berlin since the eighties and before the

Default Cold War - Battledress 1949 pattern Berlin occupation forces 1955

Hi everyone,

A very nice battledress arrived today. It's not my normal collecting area but I couldn't resist. After visiting Berlin almost every year Berlin since the eighties and before the collapse of the CCCP, I always was blown away by the history and the role of this city from the mid nineteen century until the end of the Cold War.

So I have here a 1949 pattern battledress with the Berlin patch. Dated 1955. Worn by a second lieutenant of the Royal Welch Fusiliers. I found to my surprise a some black cloth fixed at the back of the collar and dropping, like a ponytail, on the back side of the battledress. I don't know what it is called or why it is there. It has been there a long time and has sign of use. It looks like some regimental tradition. Maybe someone can shed it's light over this rarity.

Cheers Paul

It is called a "Flash" and is a symbolic remnant from the times when soldiers in the 18th century wore their hair in a Queue which was a white powdered bag inside which the hair was tied in a kind of Ponytail and was secured with a black ribbon. The order to cease the practice was given whilst the regiment was serving in the Americas and according to which source you consult the order was either not received or was ignored and they were still wearing their hair in Queues when they returned to Britain. The Flash was subsequently ordered as a regimental distinction and the descendant regiment The Royal Welsh carry it on to this day.

I hope this answers the question but I know Jerry B will be along with more precise detail shortly (how dis I do Jerry? )

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Well Mark that's a great piece of history. These British, Scottish, Welsh regiments have a lot of interresting history after being there over the centuries.

Thanks mate for the info.

Cheers Paul

I also forgot to mention that despite the uniform being 1949 (in mainstream use until the end of the '50s at least) pattern it is possible to "timeframe" the picture of the RWF soldier in your post;

1. The Rifle 7.62mm L1A1 was brought into service in 1954.
    2. The webbing he is wearing is the 1958 pattern.
    3. He is facing the Brandenburg gate which eventually had a high concrete section of the Berlin Wall in front of it built in 1961 but which is absent in the picture although a temporary physical barrier is present.
    4. The RWF served in Berlin from 1956 - 58 in Montgomery Bks, Berlin - Kladow. That barracks was interesting in itself as after the city was walled / fenced in a small part of that barracks (The Old Piggery) was inside the DDR and was cordoned off with Hamburger Barriers (Hamburger Geraete). In 1988 I once stood by the barrier looking into the overgrown abandoned section and saw DDR Grenztrueppen wandering around technically inside Montgomery Barracks! This is a slight aside but I hope it adds interest to this tale of your historical uniform.

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Paul,

A wonderful looking uniform and with some great historical significance.

Watchdog (Mark) and I both were Berlin Soldiers with the occupation forces. Mark being with the Brits and I myself being with the US Army. The tour in Berlin was one of the best times of my 22 year Army career and I had the opportunity to do many things that many 20 year old kids would or could never have imagined..

I have pursued Berlin Brigade militaria for many years but the British and French occupation items (uniforms and insignia) have always eluded me.

This battledress jacket is a stunning example..

Well done,

Best regards, stay safe

Smitty

Thanks for all the information. This is the first time I ever stumbled on a 'Berlin' occupation uniform. I was surprised that it was cheap (40 pounds) and I was the only bidder. I reckon that there must be more around.

I also had some good times in Berlin at the Biergarten and Eck Kneipen.

Cheers and thanks,

Paul

Very interesting BD, the flash and the insignia is great to see all still in place.

Obviously Mark already discussed the flash, it is the larger officers version, the other ranks pattern was shorter and narrower.

Post was BD is for some reason not big with collectors, but prices are rising.

Even so, £40 is a very good price, I did not see this for sale or I might have bid, I assume it was not UK eBay?
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Hi Jerry,

I got it out of the UK. On E-bay from the West-Midlands.

Cheers Paul

Quote by Irish1965 View Post
    Hi Jerry,

I got it out of the UK. On E-bay from the West-Midlands.

Cheers Paul
    not sure how I missed it, I have searches for RWF etc every day
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Quote by Jerry B View Post
    Very interesting BD, the flash and the insignia is great to see all still in place.

Obviously Mark already discussed the flash, it is the larger officers version, the other ranks pattern was shorter and narrower.

Post was BD is for some reason not big with collectors, but prices are rising.

Even so, £40 is a very good price, I did not see this for sale or I might have bid, I assume it was not UK eBay?
    The funny thing is that most nominally WWII BD was clearly never worn in the field but in barracks and garrisons etc because the field used stuff was literally in tatters or filthy!

Conversely much '49 pattern BD was worn in the face of a real threat in very tense scenarios. The prices are rising as Jerry mentioned as people begin to find post WWII history more interesting.

I too would have gone in quite hard on this one at that price mainly for the Berlin connection!

The flashes were/are issued from stores separately from the uniforms and attached by tailors once the uniform is issued to an individual Because the current basic uniform is worn by many other units. They are often to be found on dealer sites and Ebay at reasonable prices.

You did very well with this one as the unissued BD blouses that are currently out there sell for around £50 without trousers or any badges etc.

Regards

Mark

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast