Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

D-Day 1st infantry Jacket

Article about: A few weeks back I had the pleasure to buy quite a uniform. A seller in my own state of Texas put a listing online for a first infantry uniform. He claimed it belonged to his great uncle, an

Default D-Day 1st infantry Jacket

A few weeks back I had the pleasure to buy quite a uniform. A seller in my own state of Texas put a listing online for a first infantry jacket. He claimed it belonged to his great uncle, and after he passed away he inherited it. He also claimed his uncle participated in the legendary amphibious landings of Normandy beach. He told me his uncles name was "Adelard Armand Beauchene" but was more commonly known by his nickname "Frenchy"

The uniform itself is a beautiful example. The first infantry patch has a unique dog-tag chain border around it. The overseas service bars are bullion examples too. Unfortunately it seems the original collar discs, ribbon bars, and French fourragere are all missing. It appears someone added postwar plastic U.S. discs to the collar.

In addition to the jacket, this sale also included the veterans pants and garrison cap. Sadly I can’t find a laundry number on this jacket to definitively tie it down to the sellers uncle. But the physical evidence on the jacket itself does show that the story is believable.

After doing a bit of research online I found a good deal of information behind this veteran. I believe I even found a photograph of the veteran wearing the same jacket I have.

D-Day 1st infantry JacketD-Day 1st infantry JacketD-Day 1st infantry JacketD-Day 1st infantry JacketD-Day 1st infantry JacketD-Day 1st infantry JacketD-Day 1st infantry Jacket

Inside the pocket of his pants I found a red bandana, and a hand rolled tobacco cigarette. I also forgot to mention I got a pair of gaiters with this group too. I’ll try to take some photos of the pants when I’m able to.

D-Day 1st infantry JacketD-Day 1st infantry JacketD-Day 1st infantry Jacket

Thats a great looking uniform! Congrats!!! The 1st patch almost looks British made but its hard to tell in that kind of lighting. Attached is my British made 1st for comparison.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture D-Day 1st infantry Jacket  

?

Nice uniform but you have to take the US collar devices off they are not WWII.

Quote by RH1941 View Post
    Nice uniform but you have to take the US collar devices off they are not WWII.
    I would really like to restore this jacket. What I mean by that is I would like to add the correct insignia back to it. Any ideas on what collar discs would be appropriate? His garrison cap has red piping.
    Last edited by Luftwaffe 1941; 07-08-2021 at 09:44 PM.

MAP
    ?

Nice pickup Jarret! Congrats
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Found his draft card:

Quote by BlackCat1982 View Post
    Found his draft card:

Thank you so much for finding that! I'll be sure to print it out and keep it with his uniform items.

Scarlet piping on the oversees cap would be artillery. So you’ll need a collar that has crossed cannons and a US one. As stated above these are post war USAF collar disks

Quote by 08SMLE48 View Post
    Scarlet piping on the oversees cap would be artillery. So you’ll need a collar that has crossed cannons and a US one. As stated above these are post war USAF collar disks
    Thanks for letting me know. I'll be sure to keep my eyes peeled for some period correct artillery collar discs. After adding that back to the uniform I would also like to find the correct fourragere for this uniform too. My ultimate goal is to restore this jacket just like it was in the photo of him wearing it.